1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number Plate In Front Of Back Wheel

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Jon916, Aug 16, 2020.

1. I'm building a bit of a project using my ST4s as a base.
    It has a 1098 tank and RS 250 seat/tail unit.
    While looking how to mount the number plate I am wondering if it is legal to mount it in front of the rear wheel just behind the shock. It is visable from behind as long as you are a few feet away. Obviously it would need to be iluminnated but is it legal to put it there?

2. Not really. It’ll probably be a small one as well. It’d need illuminating if you did get it to fit, but the thing I see most with them in there and of most concern is them hitting the hugger, tyre etc. The rear end moves more than you think and if it gets caught it’s going to make a mess at best or lock the back end up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Sew it onto the back of your jacket :p
    Plates mounted in front of the back wheel always look shoit btw :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I can get a full size plate to fit, but it's if a legal place to mount it.
    I agree they can look dodgy but makes the tail unit look very sleek!

5. The rules state the plate must be at the rear of the bike. Is the "rear" at the front or back of the rear wheel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. I'd ask whoever's going to do the MOT. Failing that, ask your local bobby!

7. Don't think it's an MOT issue apart from mounting securely @cookster ?
    Most police people will not know anyway, he needs to check and understand the regulations as posted above by Jez :thinkingface:

8. Personally I think it would be a daft thing to to. Number plates are supposed to be a regulation size with a regulation font and clearly visible at the rear of the vehicle. It's all about number plate recognition cameras and you can bet your arse that the cops would pull you in very quickly giving then an excuse to go over the rest of the bike. It's just asking for trouble.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. The bobby reference was tongue-in-cheek...

10. Normally seen on gixers lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. I don't know about the legality of it but my brother's last bike (a Harley) had the plate mounted on a bracket to the left of the rear tyre. It didn't extend to the back of the bike, it was about 6 inches short of the furthest end of the rear tyre. This wasn't how it came out the factory but it was sold to my brother like this by the HD dealer and passed its MOT so it's maybe similar to loud pipes - not technically legal but as long as it's clearly visible and you're not hooning around then you'll probably be OK. But please don't call me as your expert witness in court ;) From what you're describing though, it doesn't sound like it would be very visible, unless your bike has a really short, high tail.

12. You need to realise that MOT legislation is different to Construction & Use legislation used by the Police. Just because it ‘passed an MOT in that condition’ doesn’t mean that it will stand up to C&U laws.
    .GOV website says the registration plate on a motorcycle registered on or after 1 Sept 2001 MUST only be displayed at the rear of the vehicle. It doesn’t go into any other detail other than that. Under the seat above the rear wheel isn’t at the rear, so you’ll have to take your chances if that’s where you put it.
    It could probably easily be written up that it was obscured as a result so that would be a £100 fine payable in 28 days in full or a trip to magistrates court.
    Plus it will look shit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. i remember a few years back a guy who had a flip number plate, got pulled and charged with evading.......not worth the charge! all it takes is one bike hater to pull you and at worst you will have a day in court!!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information