1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurburgring - Hit By Car At 105mph, Went Dirtbiking And Barrier Riding!

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Monners, May 8, 2017.

1. Yeah, definitely a bit of delayed shock afterwards. Still gives me the shakes watching it now. I was riding the gravel waiting for it to dig in and flip me into the barrier, fully thought it would happen and was just trying to reduce the speed but couldn't use the brakes until I went back across the track towards the other side!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Great save! well done. Had a bump from behind from another bike in the lakes when riding a Zx636r a few year back and somehow finished upright..BUT that was spectacular in comparison though. Sometimes we are just lucky with the outcome. ;)

3. Great shot here:
    IMG_1013.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. Work ???

5. Attending :)

6. Ahhhhh

7. Very lucky not to be in a Military hospital in koblenz. Despite being fairly quick, I am gonna upset people by saying that you were playing the numbers game by going for so many diminishing gaps. pulling up close to faster overtaking cars like Porsches you are pretty much unknown to the car on the right that is being overtaken. Only two weeks ago a biker got shunted over the barrier and ended up in a box. Yes legally the car on the right can be held at fault, but this could have been prevented by better forward thinking from you. Sorry my opinion and also of some other well heeled guys out here.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Not a problem at all @doogalman , lessons learnt for me for sure.

9. You do know that "well-heeled" means wealthy...

10. @doogalman just wanted to say thanks for posting this, it actually means a lot as has helped me to process and learn a lesson to not get myself in that position. Whilst I still firmly think the driver who pulls out is at error I didn't really appreciate that he would have difficulty spotting me behind the Porsche he already nearly hits.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. He knows his stuff :upyeah:

12. Wow, that could have ended up so differently...well held!

13. You're a lucky, lucky boy! Of all the places to get side-swiped, that's one of the better ones. Steep uphill and straight. Think what that would have been like going down Fuchsrohre, or in Schwedenkreuz! Somebody I knew died about 200m further on, just before the summit at Hoheacht. A Porsche took its sump out on one of the high kerbs there and the three bikes behind had no chance on the oil. He was on bike number one...

I had a much less serious incident at Adenauer Forst when riding my 748R in public traffic. Just as I was about to tip it in to the last left hander, a large blue bonnet appeared on my left side, leaving me nowhere to go. I jumped the bike up the kerb (fortunately one of the smoother ones) and rode the bike across the (dry!) grass to rejoin the track after the following right hander. I did get an apology from the driver involved back in the car park. Which was nice. :)

I no longer ride in public traffic. The insurance thing has become an issue (my last few policies have explicitly forbidden riding on the Ring) and it's so busy now. I can remember when you could do a weekend there and have the track to yourself Friday evening, and again early on Saturday morning. It would then get busy around lunch time before tailing off again at the end of the day. Not anymore! Now I only ride on the bike-only closed-road courses organised there by Motorad magazine. My next visit is in August. Can't wait!

+1 for @doogalman's comments. I always tried to ensure that any car that I was about to pass had had a chance to see me before I passed it. When you pass two or three in quick succession the one at the front may not see you. Yes, it was the driver's fault, but being in the right and injured is worse than not making the move and recording a slower lap. That's the problem these days, though. A fair few drivers (and riders - and I am NOT saying you fall into this category) forget that it's still an open road and get very upset if THEIR lap is spoiled for what ever reason.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Well said :upyeah:

I was in shock just watching the video and needed a stiff drink!

PS That was a great save

15. Jeez, that looked frightening!! Great save...I imagine your "ring" was doing half-a-crown and sixpence through that ordeal...:eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jesus Christ Dave!!

I'm not sure if it was skill or luck but well done on not stacking it. I don't know how the hell you didn't judging by that video

Bloody hell!

17. The ring is a strange beast, I have been riding there since 1993, but haven't been back for a few years as it is well catalogued for the results from other people's poor driving skills.
    I was hit by another bike who tried to undertake me going into Galgenkopf (sp) back in 2000, resulted in a trashed 996 and a broken pelvis and 2 weeks in Koblenz military hospital and further 6 weeks in a local hospital to me in northern Germany...
    I feel that due to the risk assessments / police involve the and the different 'StVO 'regulations now applicable don't help matters, as some of the collisions will be due to inexperienced drivers or riders not being able to compute all the information and give way etc..
    I want to go back this year, but I might wait for closed sessions rather than the normal open days.
    You did a good job of keeping the bike upright that's for sure

• Like Like x 1
  18. Great save, arse like a rabbits nose eh? :)

19. Holy fuck! Grandes cojones!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Top marks for saving that mate, seriously.......well done.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information