1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurburgring - Hit By Car At 105mph, Went Dirtbiking And Barrier Riding!

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Monners, May 8, 2017.

1. Ha ha, you're some boy Royal, I'll give you that! What a leather filling few seconds that must have been.
    As stated, you were lucky you had a couple of hundred meters straight in which to slow down. Well saved!

2. Shades of Rossi across the gravel at Assen. You have earned an entry into Great Saves of Our Times!! Luck and excellent judgement, a judgement that becomes honed and instinctive no doubt, due to the regularity of your trackday outings. Many novices would have instantly grabbed a handful of brakes, launching themselves directly into 'Ring Ward at the Military Hospital instead of, bringing huge speed down as safely as you did - experience over instinct

What disturbs me most about all this is that no one has asked if the bike's alright!

A lesson to learn is you cannot just hope the Highway Code applies to others, especially in an environment where it does not apply to you

I thought it was a truism of racing that when racing a bike on track you have NO responsibility for what is behind you, your only responsibility is for what is in front of you. You have no mirrors after all, so if you're in race mode you have no obligation to 'look, signal, manoeuvre'; anyone wanting to get past you has full responsibility for doing so safely, they have to judge it - (different if coasting or broken down etc.. then there's full obligation to everyone behind)

With cars it is slightly different as they do retain mirrors - my interpretation of the video is that where you mix two disciplines with two mindsets about checking what's behind, it could easily end in tears. Drivers of mixed abilities, in race mode, may well not act as you'd like, or expect them to, or think they should, so self preservation needs to come into how the two interact

3. There is one golden in that situation and you adhered to it... Do Not Touch the Front Brake!! I've come off the track at Almeria at fairly high speed (my own daft, dozy fault) I went pretty much the length of the start-finish straight in the gravel, re joined 20 meters past the gantry across the track. What a twat I looked, ha ha...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nice white turbo. Did that go to the ring with you?

5. Yep, I was supposed to be taking it out for a lap but all the excitement and track closures made it too impractical to get all my leathers off and try to do it without wasting loads of bike time. One of my dream track cars so I'm hoping it will happen next time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Haha yeah it's gone crazy. The video had 121,000 views last I looked!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. you did well to stay on mate.

wtf did Car lunge to the left ?
    he wasn't going faster than the car in front of him???

I have done the ring a few times and always say never again.

Last year for a trackday on the GT Short circuit and it was awesome
    will never do full Nordschleife again after watching that

Glad you stayed on mate
    11 out of 10 for style :)

Definitely a "Tena pants" moment

Regards
    Rick

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Royal, you're all over Visordown too :)

9. Shit!!I would have pulled over for a fag,at the very least.As already said,good save.

10. @royalwithcream your vid seems to be crashing FaceBook!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bloody well held matey ! Like the calm thumbs up to the camera at the end :) I would have been shaking and slowing down for the adrenaline to dissipate !!! ps, it didn't crash my pc, it ran great on youtube (I logged in as normal though and not through Facebook)

12. Wow, I was on edge watching all of that, can't imagine what it would have been like for you. I wouldn't trust any of those car drivers on the circuit though, they are just too slow for the speed you are doing.

13. Holy shit!

That was some save mate, considering the situation I think you played it as calmly as you could.

I'm also a big fan of the nordschleife, been going for a good few years, but even though I was over there a couple of weeks ago I didn't bother going on at all on the Sunday as it was frankly ridiculously busy.

I mean just look at the queue going up to the castle here

IMG_1872.JPG

I'm quite happy to sit back nowadays and let the cars go, no point in getting unnecessarily involved with them as unfortunately owning a GT3RS doesn't seem to mean you can drive the thing, that's without adding in spotty teenagers in Suzuki swifts or battered old novas with roll bars limped over from the UK :)

Still fancy a trip back this year again if anybody wants to go, to be fair I rode a road called the Hochspeyer which is a little further south past Cochem and if the ring is packed that's a quality ride out for a morning

14. This is why I have been over a few times not to do the track but the roads and beautiful countryside. I have stayed a few times in Cochem now. I really like Germany, and if given an opportunity could happily live there I think.

May be up for a long weekend jaunt too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mmmnnnn think me and some mates are out playing tomorrow morning, ice-cream in Cochem was on the schedule ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Cant beat a bit of Cochem bends. Except for the occasional tractor cutting tress

17. Have to keep an eye out for speed traps on the Cochem bends. Rarely go that way as have other interesting routes.

18. That was you?!

I saw that on Facebook and found myself correcting someone who thought it was your fault because he had right of way, which of course he didn't.

That's a hell of a save and looked like one of those moments where you are just waiting for the front to fold. Well done for staying on and delighted you are ok. Difficult to concentrate on the road ahead when your mind is 200m back up the road wondering how you survived too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Very correct. Have you been to Dubai? Some beautiful cars mixed with laugh out loud appalling driving standards.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information