1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obtained Unobtanium.

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Fire3500, May 23, 2021.

1. Nice. Would love to see how they turn out.

2. It wasn’t 3D printed but injection moulded. Hence the cost. If someone prints them then use something flexible.

3. In the interest of originality, these are the correct fixings for said surround...
    IMG_0476.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Would that be me? If so, when do you want to entrust me with your original?

I have the printer back up and running and I need to see if I can recreate it in CAD (still a relative newbie on this CAD stuff - and don't want to buy a 3D scanner). Once done and a couple of test prints are completed, it should be good to go. Biggest issue with 3d printing is surface finish, as there will be tell-tale layer lines, but with some etch/highbuild primer and satin paint, it may work nicely.

5. I have been using PLA+ recently for the bases and TPE for the flexible rubber air ducts. The rubber ducts have a nice satin finish and the layers are less visible. The photos below are the following: -
    • 2 x 888 bum pad bases and 1 x SP3 bum pad base (middle)
    • 4 x 888 SPO/SP4/SP5 main sead base
    • Front and rear air duct connectors (the oval ones are the 1994 model airbox connectors that enter the airbox at the front sides, rather than the rear entry version)

2BC56498-56AB-4D4D-8F2B-4E80043AC5AA.jpeg 3AF5A029-5AC1-45AE-AE43-CB25A5906955.jpeg D26F55C6-15DD-414B-9CA7-691A22B2B765.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. If you use ABS for your FDM printing, Methyl Ethyl Ketone is an excellent solvent for smoothing the exterior and also reducing porosity and produces essentially a glossy surface. Sometimes just the fumes are enough to affect the surface. Unfortunately I have no experience of using PLA.

7. ABS is too brittle for the parts I have been printing, as a staple has a tendency to crack them. PLA+ has a decent finish and also takes a staple nicely. It is really nice a tough, plus has a bit of flex, that ABS lacks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. This stuff blows my mind!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Please keep us posted on how he gets on (I assue it's @Bridgland ?).

• Like Like x 1
  10. It most certainly is!

11. If anyone gets a CAD drawing together then we have a printer, I’m just not good enough to draw it.

Also… my 851 now has one ;)

12. in that case there will defo be a CAD file, unless he silicon moulded an original part and then injected 2-part resin (which is not really "injection moulded" in the traditional sense).

Cheers
    Grant

PS: I can definitely model this for you (I've used Pro-Engineer/Creo for the last 20 years) but I would need either the part in hand or some amazingly accurate drawings/photos.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information