1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh F**k Fitting Exhaust 796

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Smudgerii, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Started to strip the original exhaust off ready to fit the SC 2-1.

Never really understood how intrinsic the original exhaust is to the indicators and reg plate hanger.

Everthing is off the bike but what the hell am I going to do about fitting the indicators & reg? None of the tail tidies work with the 2-1 although Comfysofa is working on a project :upyeah:

2. Though [I guess] it's still out of stock, the EvoTec one is what you need - it's the one I had on my 796, and worked with the SC Project exhaust you now have.

The bracket for the number plate attaches with the large silver bolt with the rubber around it (I'm going from faded memory here!), and the indicator bracket attaches with two of the bolts under the rear fin.

Just looking at images of it online, and the official install guide (if you can call a chunk of text a guide that is!), I seem to recall drilling an extra hole in the bracket... Sorry, my memory isn't great (thanks head trauma!!!).

• Like Like x 1
  3. evotech.PNG

IIRC (and sorry for being so vague) where I have marked in red, is where I recall drilling a hole - as the 4x bolt holes you see, would normally attach to the OEM exhaust - you lose those when you take off all the old can's gubbins. I'm 95% certain that somewhere in the rear, maybe under the fin cover, there was one large silver bolt - I used this to attach the bracket and tightened up a nut whilst holding the number plate bracket.

The indicator bracket can be mounted with the bits up or own - if you look at the photo here you can see I mounted it upwards - this is so the indicator clears the exhaust.

Hope this helps...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just to add - not sure if you've already take it apart, the coloured section of the rear fin does come off - mine (and I assume it will be the same for yours) had two tiny bolts visible, and the other end was attached by velcro... it was bloody strong stuff too, as it took some pulling to get it off!

I assume that this is how it came from Ducati, and that the previous owner to me simply snapped a number of clips off, and had fixed it with velcro...

5. Getting frustrated now! Placed 2 orders for an evotech tail tidy on eBay, first came back with "sorry it's damaged, wait 3 weeks I'll get you another" and the 2nd seller has posted wed for it to disappear in the Royal fail blackhole...

Totally fuc*ed off and wishing I'd never bothered buying the bike, it has been one thing after another.

6. Yep - dropping the bike off this week!

7. Oh man, that's crap :( Though, the damaged one might be ok - depending on the damage that is; wonder if they'd let you have it at a steal? Might be an avenue to explore... As they're pretty solid bits of kit, I expect it may just be fixing holes in the hanger part that are broken - but you won't be using them anyway.

I'll have a mooch at other tail tidies, as it's only really the lights that are the issue - the EvoTech one lifts them high enough to clear the exhaust/carbon infills, hence why I recommended it - but if another (R&G or whoever) offers the same, you might be in luck...

Don't give up on the bike though, shit like this hits all of us, sometimes just a few drops - other times it's like a tidal wave. But it'll all work out in the wash, and it won't be long before you're back blatting around with that thunderous noise making small children cry, and car alarms go mental!

8. Had a quick look, and apparently there is a part from the Termi cans that allow the indicators to be relocated high up, and the OEM license plate holder can be used... some people say this setup works ok; can't verify it myself, as my 796 didn't come with the OEM hanger :(

Edit: part no 96761308B

9. Google images, shows it might work...

071208MotardTail20.JPG
    Seems this might be the termi part, and it seems to raise the indicators above the infills...

071208MotardTail32.jpg
    Assuming this is the OEM hanger, then you have the same area with the 4x bolt holes, where you can drill a new hole in the middle, to bolt onto the rear sub frame.

10. Which oem part are you missing....im pretty sure ive got all my oem stuff...youre welcome to it...

11. Thanks for the offer :) But I sold the 796 last year and moved to the Hyperstrada, so no bits needed for me.

12. Thanks for all the replies...

Seller is trying to trace the parcel, but not holding out for any good news.

Still hoping for some success for comfysofa's project...

13. YES, finally arrived.

Fitted it today after a bit of drilling as per @Hyperstrada advice, looking good. Only 1 slight issue is about 1/4" of reg plate is in line with exit of exhaust, small plate time

14. Sweeeeeeet, glad it's finally come together!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information