1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Oil Change

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Gary 916sp, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Yes your right it’s almost twice the size iv already been sent one of those by mistake 5C7077A3-43F2-45FE-A42E-4FC457B852B7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks jack,I’ll phone them tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  3. @Gary 916sp What i want to know is why did you carry this exercise out now when we've only a few more dry days riding left this year.:thinkingface:....unless of course you ride all year round.?

4. I remember reading somewhere (I can always remember what I've read but not where I read it:confused:) that with copper washers like this you can blast them with a blow torch and then re-use them. Something to do with the heat causing them to expand so you can then crush them back in place as you tighten the nut or bolt. Whether this actually works or not I've never tried it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Haven’t been on it at all this year just doing the usual bits now so all ready for next year .
    Just sorted a temp gauge bulb went
    Oil and fuel filter
    Belts this weekend
    Then new tyres

• Like Like x 2
  6. Maybe a impending sale in my direction if not using it.;).............that's crazy man get your leg swung over and get out there.!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I have done it with copper head gaskets I have made. It should work the same for copper washers if not badly deformed, but easier to buy new IMO.

To anneal, heat to between 400-600 deg C, then quench in water. I used an industrial oven, but heating it until a dull red with a gas torch is also ok.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. If you heat copper to cherry red and then quench it it's annealed and therefore very very soft so will work again. You can do the same with aluminum but you have to rub some soap on it (imperial leather works well) and heat until the soap turns black and don't quench. The size doesn't change but it softened both metals so they are malleable again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Surely the original Ducati washers are aluminium, not copper? I know the earlier models have a different sludge filter (and hence washer) to the later ones that need an Allen key. I've always got them from Ducati dealers OK in the past, but I suppose we have to face up the fact that the 748/916 are old bikes now, spares won't be available for ever. But really, personally I would happy with using any suitable soft washer from a local factor.

But if the original parts are sourceable, for the price they are, I guess it would make sense to buy a 'lifetime's supply'.

10. I remember annealing copper washer to go under the dome nuts on the primary chain-case on my old Triumphs! :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  11. It’s shouldn’t be copper. The oem one is alloy..... looks like there’s still one fitted to the prefilter body?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. If you struggle to get one, just get half a dozen made by a local engineer.

13. Which verse do you stop heating...?;)

14. Aren’t they the same size as the sump plug ? If not any Ali crush washer of right dimensions will do
    Probably same on all the 9** series

15. I thought (and may of got mixed up) that you heat until cherry red and then leave to cool naturally in air to anneal. But, I think that I may be wrong and that you quench to keep the crystals big and that makes the metal soft. Anyone know for sure? My instinct says heat and quench but I may of read something somewhere that confused me!

16. Copper you quench to anneal, steel you quench to harden. Aluminum you let cool naturally to anneal. I used to know the physics behind it but filed it under useless information somewhere in my head. Good in a pub quiz perhaps but not necessary when resurrecting a used crush washer.

• Like Like x 2
  17. "Copper you quench to anneal, steel you quench to harden. Aluminum you let cool naturally to anneal."

That's it!

Thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information