1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Coming Out Of Breather Pipe ?

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Ian-SA, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Got a 1098S a few weeks back with approx 12k Km (7k5 Miles) its in good nick but noticed oil dripping from the breather pipe bellow belly pan
    I also noticed that the oil level in the sight glass is way above the required level,,,, like out of sight
    I'm a "google mechanic" and know my limits
    Any suggestions what to do, is it related to the over fill of oil?

2. It very possibly could be, you know what I’m going to say next! Drain it down or even empty it and start again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I got the the bike with it over filled with oil,,,just thought I would clear my name :)
    OK,, so how do I drain the oil down? with out total replace
    Also could the oil filter be "oiled up" it has the Ducati performance Termi filter and Pipes and ECU etc, so can i clean the oil filter

4. Undo the sump plug and drop the oil level with the plug controlling the flow, messy but easy, or if you're not sure about how long the oil has been in change oil and filter.
    The oil filter should be a cartridge type you chuck away and replace, not sure what you mean about DP Termi filter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. As Harry said, and you need a 5 mm hex Allen key and remember not to overtightened when you put it back. If you’ve not done a partial drain before then probably best you just drain the lot. If you have a large stainless steel shallow baking tray then this could be perfect for the job if you want to reuse the oil. It goes without saying that you need to clean all around the drain plug and crankcase meticulously before you go to drain if you are considering reusing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 6 pint plastic milk containers laid on its side with a large hole cut out works well. Just remember to clean first and put the lid on before letting the oil out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Like this but bigger Screenshot_20191008-121058.png Screenshot_20191008-121058.png

• Like Like x 2
  8. I was thinking about the air filter and how I might clean it? As I say its not the standard filter but rather the after market Termignoni/Ducati upgrade
    I am fairly certain the oil is fresh and oil filter I have the receipts for them from the previous

9. Ah, gotcha there now. The foam filters are normally washable but I'm not sure if it then needs oiling like a K&N.

If the oil is good then just drain required amount by removing the sump plug and letting it dribble out until the level is correct :upyeah:

10. You can draw oil out of the filler cap as well. 6mm pipe on a decent size syringe. Cleaner and more accurate if you've just got a little to take out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Got the filter out the air box seems a bit grimy
    @ Nelly, that seems like neat way to go... just got the feeling its way over filled

20191008_130312.jpg

12. I could be wrong but it looks like a paper filter? If so just replace

13. The missus get upset when I use the cat litter box when changing the oil... your plan looks like a way to avoid marital strife :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes ...
    ..... my favourite method
    Get two of them ..... one for a drain pan and one to tip it into , for saving or disposal .
    No funnels to clean , and the local waste disposal has a place for used oil and another one for oily mess ..... easy life !

15. each to their own on that one, been there, done that, permanently stained the floor/drive as oil brims funnel because air can't get out*, also no need for a funnel/extra height with a tray but appreciate the ease of obtaining a milk container unlike a tray or syringe for that matter. (you could go the whole hog and syphon with a small bore clear tube even)

*it doesn't happen everytime but a second hole in top of milk container will prevent this.

#15 Chris, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'm with Nelly on this one, Get a syringe and a rubber pipe ( make sure it doesn't drop off in the gearbox, and suck out what is extra, saves breaking in to the system and it also allows you to measure quickly how much more oil was in than you needed.
    i just had a similar task a few weeks ago from a main dealer and a mates 999s track bike, the dealer filled the bike as per the amount ( ltrs) rather than observation of the Oil glass. i took out 700 ml of 300V to get it to show on the glass..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. To conclude:
    managed to extract the overfill of oil using a syringe, worked well, easy to extract amount of oil
    took more than 100ml out
    also cleaned out the air box and the air filter, they were not too bad but did it anyway
    Will go for a run later today and see how it works out

20191008_155402.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information