1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Simon Audi, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Not true I'm afraid mate, the "R" engine in the road going Panigales have no oil ring round the pistons and are actually designed as such that they will burn oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I ain't arguing that the DVT may or may not burn more, I'm simply saying its not the DVT mechanism itself.

3. @Wayne58 read my part of the post again :) I Covered all bases, "unless it was designed to do so" but in general engines do not burn oil, although I do not really class my engine as burning oil in the general way we know of, but time will tell for me as mine is in soon to resolve this problem

4. Technician told me today that high manifold pressure at small constant throttle openings typically high speed motorway for example draws oil past the rings and burns some oil. A feature of the DVT I am told. Time to buy some oil .

5. Going too easy on the engine during break in causing rings to not bed to the cylinders as well as they could.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. It's a bit of a Catch-22 I saw my bike on the laptop at the dealer today and they know exactly what you have done since 0 miles through to the 624 miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mine has gone from the top fill line, post 1st service at 650 miles, to just above the bottom line in only another 800 miles. About 300 miles of that was motorway, so I will check with dealer when he fits the Enduro pack? Never put any oil in my old bike, so this is an interesting development. A mates GS drinks about a litre every 5-600 miles on a tour, but then it does have 125,000 miles on the clock!

8. My oil usage is negligible on a 3000ml thrash to Holland , Germany and Italy 2 up with luggage it used 1/4 pint

9. Maybe. A mate bought a brand new 16v Golf GTI some years ago & they told him the engine will burn a bit of oil until 10,000 miles. It did burn oil quite a lot but sure enough the higher the mileage the better it got until it stopped using oil. Not saying or suggesting but it may get better with mileage. By the way some BMW GS1200,s do use quite a bit of oil.

10. I have done over 15k on my DVT, just had to put in 500 ml of oil, not even used it on the motorway of late, My GS since new 2017, now done 3k miles not used any oil.
    My DVT goes in under warranty related to the oil usage in a months time, be interesting what they find, or how it is resolved
    I do read the Gs's that have done like 100k use a little bit of oil :p

11. I think its mainly the old oil heads that used oil. The water cooled models since 2013 is it, are ok. 2 of my mates have older GS,s 2005 & 2007 both around 35000 miles & they do you a bit of oil, but not much.

12. I thought mine was burning oil? I had done a bout 1000 miles and returned to my garage, placed the bike on the centre stand, observing the oil level it was near the low part of the glass. I topped the bike up until it was almost level with the upper oil level line. Great! I rode the bike up north and on my return after about 400 mile, to my amazement the oil level was over the upper limit in the site glass! All I can think is that some oil must have remained oil-locked in part of the motor when I topped the level up! But surely it would have drained as I left it to settle for an hour before topping up! I drained some oil off, and the level has not changed for the past 1000 miles! Strangely mine isn't using lots of oil and it gets a regular thrashing!

13. Thrash it hard enough you will be able to sell the oil to your mates, weren't riding a mountain where people were sharing fish and bread?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I did burn top line to bottom line in first 600 miles, I looked yesterday at 1200 miles and no oil has been consumed. The second 600 miles I have worked the bike harder, but still not more than 7000 RPM.

15. Do I detect a hint of doubt there :thinkingface:

16. none at all,
    The best bikes were always those that were run in hardest, or raced in their break-in?
    Japanese bike liked breaking in fast, iI have seen japanese bikes that didnt bed the top-ends in and smoke, I have seen them run 30mins and then raced?
    British bikes (old ones) liked a good break in and took awhile to become smooth in the gears etc

When an engine is cold the dimensions and tolerances change to the cold condition, but the engines running surfaces wear to the hot condition, so disruptive wear occurs while you leave it on the stand warming up. When idling very little power is produced and temperatures remain low, not enough to exceed the vapor point of the water in the oil which is 100 degrees C to get the water out the oil needs to be about 95 degrees C @1 bar (this is inline of my experience with large air compressors) or greater at working temps the water separates again from the oil and is expelled via the breather; The water gets into the oil via the inducted air, (humidity); normally lower on cold days?
    Put your riding gear on then start engine, soon as its stable ride off gently, and bring the engine to temp much more quickly than leaving it on the stand will do; once the temp guage is up 2/3, ride it how you normally do?

When breaking in;
    1) use atleast 3/4 (short burst of acceleration) of full power (as much as is possible on the road)
    2) if possible ride on a road that requires gear changes and frequent throttle transitions
    3) it is important to use the throttle butterfly as a restrictor above the cylinder so the pressure is less in the combustion chamber than the sump during braking overrun? This draws a flood of oil to the piston trust faces and rings supposedly to cool hot spots and prevent micro seizures, I believe is best done only on first 30km (snapping throttle fully closed)
    Ducatis now days have comparable surface finish on mechanical parts as do Japanese bikes, and should be ridden as hard as possible to get a good break in. Dont use synthetic or modified oils for break in, Put the top quality oil in when you feel the bike is smooth and broken in, Some very good oils will slow the break in procedure, and with a soft break-in it has been necessary to strip and hone the barrels to reduce the oil consumption. the guy with the warranty oil consumption could try thrashing it!!
    4) do not labour the engines; trying to put around in a gear to high to limit the revs actual causes a higher contact-surface load because to produce the same power at less revs requires more cylinder pressure, and a higher resloved force between the piston thrust faces and the cylinder, Let it rev
    WHAT DO OTHERS THINK?

#136 breakout998, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thrash her to an inch of her life, she will run with the wind and Davies

18. Interesting, I had an RT1200 LC (virtually same boxer platform as the GS) and did 8,000 miles on it from new in a year and it didn't use a drop of oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I would prefer the shop don't touch my bike, thrash it or lose it, I think you the problem go and get "on-it" as i suggested or have some real damage done? ?you not riding a 1972 combat are you? what you got to lose if it continues they might have to fuck with your girl, drive her hard and dont let any man touch her?
    7000rpm???? you abusing her, what did you start at, 5000rpm?
    go 9-10k rpm before she wants to leave you

#139 breakout998, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  20. Could someone please translate :worried:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information