1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AnyOldIron, Sep 23, 2018.

1. 3200 mile Euro trip and my 2015 DVT drank about 1/2 ltr of oil. No biggy as my mates Fireblade drank double that.

2. Similar figures to Rivercop. My 1260 S has now done a little over 3000 miles and I have put in 400-500 ml.

3. Had a conversation with a mate today on a trip. His 1260 has used 2 litres of oil in 5k miles. This is way more than his previous dvt used.
    When he enquired about the usage he was told up to 0.7 litres per 1k miles is acceptible. Above that is not and requires investigation.

4. Just got back from a trip, and my 2018 1260 burnt 1/2 quart in 2500 miles. Almost all interstate riding at constant 72 mph.

5. Its the constant speed that uses oil in my experience. For example - Recent 1700m trip - Day one on the way out was a fast constant throttle autoroute section of some 200m and it used a little oil, topped up about 150ml when we arrived in the Black forest on day 2. Then 4 days hooning around that area (fabulous roads - forget the B500 just take a left or right you cant go wrong!) no oil used. Day 7 was cross country then day 8 was a fast dash back to the Tunnel on the autoroutes, used another 150ml on that day. 300ml approx. was not too bad, my previous DVT would have been way more than that!
    Bike is a 2018 1260 with 18K miles on the clock (currently in for service - Gulp!)

• Like Like x 2
  6. You need to make sure the bike is perfectly level when checking as the smallest deviation away from upright makes a noticeable change to the reading on the glass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Just got back from a trip round Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland, because we had to re-route a lot because of closed passes we did a few more motorway miles than we expected, so 400ml in 2500 miles in 9 days. About the same as last year, bikes now got 6500 miles on.2018 1260S

8. Quite a lot of touring ducatis now, the riders have a go pro or something similar. If you haven't got someone to sit on the bike and level it whilst you check the window glass, then rig your go pro level with the oil window, feel when you are level and make a comment for the go pro so you know what point on the recording to look for. You could probably use your mobile to achieve the same result.

I know it's long winded but it's just another option

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. I checked the level in my garage after it was serviced, and checked it in the same position when I returned home

10. I just check mine on the centerstand on a flat area.

I'm not going to follow their weighing procedure. My '11 1200 didn't burn a drop, this one does, and I'm measuring them both fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gee!!! Those figures are scary! I checked the level once when the bike was new, changed the oil at the first 5Kmiles with the reccomended qty and never looked to the sight glass again. If drinks oil like that, I should be seeing the red warning in the dash soon.

12. My 1260 got though more than a litre on my Dolomites trip. It is leaking oil from somewhere around the front cylinder too though. Dealer is taking bike in the next few days to sort this out.

13. My 2015 DVT is possesed..... it'll do similar days riding with NO oil consumption, then it'll empty itself totally out of the sight window with no rhyme or reason to it.... I just carry oil with me whilst touring now

14. Same here and the dealer just nodded when I asked if it was normal. My old KLR was the same...the oil just vanishes. No smoke, no drips...just poof...gone.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Mine too... I’ve just ridden to Switzerland and around Germany, covering over 1,800 miles and didn’t need to top up... I did the same ride last year and used a litre

• Like Like x 1
  16. Just done a tour of Scotland, 1,200 miles in 4 days, used another 400ml of oil, the lads I was with on S1000RR's didn't use any oil, and never do between services, one's got 30,000 miles on it. I didn't expect to have to carry oil around with me on a long weekend ride out. The auto blipper has also started being unreliable, which is bloody dangerous going down a steep hill into a hairpin bend, expecting lots of engine braking, and nothing happens when you push down on the gear lever. I'll mention it to my dealer, but I'm not hopeful.

17. It's probably screwed and will need a complete engine rebuild...

What does your user manual say regarding oil consumption?

I have added around almost a litre to mine over the last 6000 miles (2014 with 22k miles). Unsurprisingly, I find the harder I ride, the more oil I use. I added 400ml after a 2500 mile 2up trip to Sardinia and the same amount after 700miles at the Isle of Man.

Seriously, don't worry about it. As long as it's not pouring out of the bottom of the engine or blowing blue smoke, you are probably fine.

18. My own take on this is, don't top up the oil till it drops below minimum, an engine can find its own level sometimes, since my 600 mile service, I topped up at around 1500miles 100ml, to be honest I never checked where it was after the first service, since then I have done a European tour which included motorways, its not used any, like has been mentioned levelness is critical, I check mine on the centre stand in the same place, now up to 5500 miles, It's due a service next week will check the level when I get home.

19. The owners manual recommend you check the oil level with a warm engine, even suggests you run the bike until the fan comes on then leave it 15 minutes to let the oil return to the sump. In addition to this the manual says you must have both wheels on the floor so not on the centre stand. I use a spirt level app on my phone lying on the tank ring and a small mirror on a stick to check mine.
    My 1260S uses about 500ml every 1000miles which is similar to what my 1200S used

Do Not Sell My Personal Information