1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AnyOldIron, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Mine has never used much oil 5400 miles now ,but just done 740mls on trip to classic TT. About 500 on M5 and M6 sixth gear cruising and it's gone from top to bottom mark . 1260 touring

2. Yes, sounds similar to mine, I think it's totally unacceptable that a modern bike is incapable of doing a long weekend away without worrying about oil levels. It takes me back to the sixties, in a bad way. So much so that I'm probably getting rid of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Did my oil change after 6000km. I have measured the quantity of oil between the top and bottom marks in the glass and it's 400ml. Mine has probably burned 50 ml in that period. Shell Advance Ultra 10W-40 used.
    I find it ridiculous that a more modern bike (1260) burns (a lot) more oil than mine, and since my bike can do it it's not a matter of inability to design and build a proper non oil burning engine but a case of bad QC.

#43 tzoykas, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  4. Waiting for my oil leak to be fixed before claiming that my 1260 burns much oil. Had to add another 250ml the other day to bring it up the sight glass. Have taken to using a spirit level on the Givi tank ring to get it level side to side, as I park on gravel, if I don't do this it makes a significant difference to the reading.

5. Did an oil change before a trip recently. My dvt used 250 ml for 3000 miles.

6. I can't help but wonder whether this is actually engineered into the DVT models (note no oil consumption problems on prior years)

Before the DVT models the service requirements were shorter, I'm wondering if this is Ducati's way of insuring it gets a little bit of fresh oil in between the longer service periods

7. Dvt no oil in 12k
    1260 pp , half a litre in 3000 miles

8. On our recent trip to Ireland the oil level in my 1260 went from top of the sight glass mark to the bottom in 2k miles. By comparison my wife’s monster 1200 oil level did not change at all. Both bikes have circa 4K on them.

9. 1,400m trip to Scotland on a 1260 enduro 2019 and used at least 1L. Its always been hungry for oil
    I guess it's normal?

10. That sounds excessive

11. I have 2018, 1200 Enduro pro, and mine is using 400ml per 1000km. I had a conversation with my dealer about it and he said that according to the Ducati factory, DVT engines can use between 0.5-0.75 per 1000 km so you are definitely OK with yours.

12. I had an old Audi cabriolet with the old 2.8 V6 engine (circa year 2000)
    From memory the owners book mentioned something about using a litre of oil every 1000 miles as being acceptable (don't quote me on this) At the time I thought this was not a good engine as Id had so many other vehicles that didn't use oil.
    But what do I know, the engineers who design and build these engines are smarter than me ! (Id like to think)
    So oil using engines are not a new thing.

Having only done a few hundred miles on my 1260 I've not bothered to look at the oil level (is there a warning light on the dash ?) but Id better start checking it regularly after reading this thread. My old Air cooled 1100 Multi didn't use a drop over 2000 miles Id do on it every summer. And Id better add a litre bottle of oil to my carry list when I go touring !

Now …. if its not leaking out, and its not burning oil via worn valve guides or piston rings (which would start to block up the catalytic converter and you would see white smoke?)... then maybe it might be vaporizing out the crank case breather back into the air box ? I'm just shooting the breeze here so don't knock my assumptions too much :confused:

13. Thats 2 stroke oil league :joy:

And yes, mine is also a 2 stroke.
    Ill buy cheap oil from now on, no point using premium stuff when it evaporates like a kettle

#53 doughnut, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  14. My 2018 1260 used around 200cc every 1000km in the beginning, now the bike has done 26K it used around 250cc on my last summer trip of 4K (3K motorways)
    Not bad at all I think

15. Engine oil does not evaporate. Some components of the oil can evaporate but this happens at temperatures well above any operating temps. The only way an engine can loose oil (if there's no leak) is burning it through poorly sealing piston rings or valve guides. In the case of the Multi that's not making any noticeable smoke it's likely piston rings not sealing as well on an engine that was broken in too gently. This does not necessarily create visible smoke.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sorry to drag this thread up. Did the oil consumption ever sort itself out. My 1260 seems to do this. Dealers have contacted Ducati.

17. From my experience, oil usage is a fact of life with the Mutli and like Funners said above, whenever I manage to go touring, I always take spare oil with me. I put it into 100ml plastic bottles, up to 500ml per trip, carried in a sealed container and use them one at a time, as needs be. A pain, however, something that each of my three Mutlis has actively demonstrated.......:expressionless:

18. It's only a fact of life for the small percentage of multis that burn oil. My 16 didn't burn a drop, my 19 doesn't burn a drop. Two other people I know with them have never had this issue. Most Multistradas don't burn oil. I know people who do have this issue would like to think everyone does but that's just not the case

19. Your lack of oil usage is noted TM, however, I am able to state, factually I would add, that everyone I know and ride with, who incidentally have Multistradas of one kind or another, ALL confirm they use oil. Admittedly to differing degrees, but they do use it.
    In another world outside of this current Covid-19 version, I along with many other UK riders, often frequent a trip into Europe with a large group of Ducati Multistrada owners, from literally across the globe. It has at times exceeded 40 in number, but regrettably hasn't happened since the last meeting in 2019, @ Haute Savoie. Strangely enough, the topic of oil use often comes up at these get togethers and yes you've guessed it, for the vast majority, they confirm their bikes use oil.........
    It isn't something I "would like to think everyone does", in the real world that I live in with other Multistrada owners, they have the same issue.
    If yours doesn't, then absolutely terrific for you, I wish mine was the same! :upyeah:

20. I think mine used a little when it was new but seems fine now, is that possible?

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information