1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AnyOldIron, Sep 23, 2018.

1. @mike willis How does your bike get used? e.g. do you thrash it? I suspect that those of us who 'ride it like they stole it' will use far more oil.

2. Never used much on mine Tony…

3. I can only speak from my experience, which to date, has been as I've highlighted. As others have said, in some cases, their bike does/doesn't use oil. On the last trip to the EMM 2019, mine used circa 500ml in 2300 miles. Pretty severe to me!

4. I don't hang about, most rides are a couple of hours, France and Spain touring before the shutdown, very often two up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nope, its on 36k miles now and still does what it wants, Scotland tour earlier this year, all the way up, each day around the 300 mile area...not a drop was consumed,Yet the run back down through the Cairngorms to home, approx 430miles, used the whole sight glass worth, According to the bike behind me, no smoke of any kind and more importantly, no smell of burnt oil, if theres any pattern to it at all ( and there isnt much of one really) its that its constant rpm that uses it, thrashing it to death doesnt seem to bother it
    I just dont worry about it anymore, and as stated just carry oil on longer away trips

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HERE ANOTHER WITH 50000KM AND I HAVE NEVER HAD TO REFILL ON TRIPS OF MORE THAN 5000KM EVEN

7. This points to piston rings that never bedded in properly

8. Or piston/bore/ring tolerances stacking up. I've read that running some models above the lower line on the sight glass, can cause oil to migrate into the air box with hard use. The cure being to only fill the oil to the lower line. Obviously a little oil use shows earlier if doing that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Entirely possible as I didnt run it in….
    As previous tho it’s the randomness of the consumption that’s makes it hard to fathom
    On the Scots tour mentioned above it literally did over 1200 miles with zero oil going awol
    Then one 400 mile trip used the full glass
    The riding wasn’t really any different, nor the temperature
    I’ve assumed that the crankcase pumping pressures are sufficient to move the oil into the oil catch can/ vessel and from there it is misted into the air box thus using it-My Aprilia RSV did the same thing
    It has been known to re introduce oil after it disappearing which is really bizarre,again the assumption is it drains back down over time from the catch tank
    I dont worry anymore ….it’s no hardship to carry oil and it certainly doesnt spoil the enjoyment of riding it

10. I would say that is perfectly normal to use a little until it is correctly run-in.

11. Mine sounds exactly like yours.

• Like Like x 1
  12. It seems to be the case as I know several people with noticeable oil comsumption. My theory is that the engine was not broken in properly hence the piston rings aren't sealed tight. I knew a guy who had his Scrambler engine rebuilt due to oil consumption only to find out the rebuilt engine still consumes oil half a year later...

13. I think it is way to many bikes burning oil to blame the running in.
    The pre DVT models are not burning oil, are people that buy the DVT model, worse at running in engines than those that bought the pre DVT models?

14. It’s good practice to check your oil regularly, whether your particular engine uses oil or not.
    Also oil changes are important, the oil breaks down over time and looses its lubricating properties.
    I have to top up my DVT1200 7000 miles occasionally, no major worry to grief.
    The cost of 5 litres of oil and a filter, is good insurance against potentially replacing a wrecked engine.

15. Hmm I've known at least 2 Scrambler burning oil (including one of mine), my Hypermotard 950 with 937cc Testastretta is also confirmed with burning oil. I also know a Multistrada 950 with the same engine as my Hypermotard. So I don't think this problem is limited to particular DVT engine.

That said, I talked to my dealer and per Ducati's warranty, my Hyper 950 oil consumption is not severe enough to warrant a warranty from them. It's a bit annoying but I don't mind. Just disappointed in the quality since I paid premium price for the bike. I probably would have to have the engine rebuilt when the time comes (when the oil comsumption becomes too severe).

For now, I always check the oil level and refill it as necessary.

16. Yes, it is annoying. Having to fill up oil while friends with KTM and BMW are watching :D

My 1200DVT was burning almost 0.5l/1000km on a trip to Spain, and I had pistons and cylinders replaced under warranty. My current 1260enduro is burning about 0.1l/1000km and I think that is acceptable.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. My St4s 2002 used 1/2 a litre of oil in its first 1000 miles then nothing including now at 44K Miles

Something is not right, if a bike was "designed" to burn oil it would not pass Euro Cat 3 let alone 6 or where ever we are now

18. Mine's used a sight glass full lately, just gone over 5000 miles. It's the first Ducati I've owned that has used any. I'll now be carrying oil on long trips.

19. Well, I do remember a couple of guys complained about KTM burning oil as well haha... So yeah, it's not exclusive to Ducati as it seems. Last year, a guy in my touring group had to haul his pre DVT Multis 1200 back to the shop when the engine just blew every drop of oil via the exhaust in 5 mins. That's when you know the engine needs to be rebuilt.

20. I did take a lot of care running it in, I always do.
    That could be the difference?

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information