1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by phenom5886, Dec 10, 2019.

1. I've read a good few threads on this topic here before, but they are all couple years old at this point and I'm curious if there's anyone out there with mileage similar to mine now that can chime in.

I'm currently at 41,000km (25,000 miles) on the clock on my 2017 Enduro and I'm finding oil consumption has increased quite dramatically as it's got older.

These days I'll go through easily 200 - 300ml oil per 1000km (600 miles)

How are your bikes comparing with mileage like this?

Thanks!

2. I have 22k on my 2015. It likes a drink, when ridden hard. I put in approx 350ml on 2.5k tour, most of the miles were done in low gears through mountains and consumption is as I would have expected.
    I'm not concerned about topping up when needed.

3. I don't measure I just always carry spare fuel & oil et cetra. When it needs doing its dealt with'

4. I have 29k on a 2015 DVT. It to likes a drink and has from the first. I now always travel with a litre of oil when I'm touring and will use that up in the course of 1500 - 2500 miles depending on which roads I travel. Motorways eat oil when cruising at 140/150 kph whilst low gear mountain riding uses less.
    I suspect your question is more about an increase in consumption. I had a chat with a dealer who said that steady state oil consumption can be/is normal if it was like that from new. If there is an increase from no consumption to more later in life then it might need looking at. I don't think your present consumption is unusual from new but may be a concern now. Is there smoke visible from the exhaust? More likely to show when you first start up or accelerate hard. It's hard to see yourself so get a mate to follow you and observe as you try various things.

5. I've seen it mentioned before that the DVT motor can sometimes use more on steady motorway miles where the engine is at more of a constant throttle for longer periods.

Mine has done about 9000 miles, and needs around half a litre or so every 1500 miles, roughly. More than I'd like, and more than I've had on any bike I've owned in 26 years of riding.

6. 25k on my 2015 dvt. Have not seen any difference since new and just top up a couple of times between changes. I do mostly two lanes with little high speed running.

7. My enduro has 14k miles, R1150 GSA 62k miles and RT 44K miles. They all consume oil at varying rates depending on how they're ridden. I was told all big twins do it. As previously said its only worrying if it drastically increases for no apparent reason.

8. Mines done 15,000 miles and uses about a litre every 2.5k when on a tour using motorways. It’s been like this since new. I just take some with me

9. Good to know there's plenty other thirsty Multistradas out there.

I use my bike for commuting as well as touring and adventure riding. I suspect part of my higher consumption is to do with stop go traffic in town, with the oil temp getting up to 104c before the fans kick in.

Thinking back, the increase in use could have coincided with changing jobs to a place further into the city, with much more stop and go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 55,000 miles
    200-300ml every 5,000 miles

Do Not Sell My Personal Information