1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Oil & Filter Change

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Steve Davison, May 20, 2017.

1. Depending on the model, the sump guard may pivot down without being removed completely. Try undoing the front and centre sump guard screws only, and see if the guard will drop down pivoting around the rear screws (which are provided with rubber grommets). This may give enough clearance to drain the sump and change the oil filter, and all without removing the centre stand.

This tip was told to me by a mechanic at Snell's of Alton, who does it all the time.

2. I did that first time round (without removing centre stand). Didn't quite have enough clearance and it splashed all over the lip of the sumo guard. Was quite a cleanup job ‍♂️

3. Getting ready to do an oil change on my bike this weekend, and totally escaped me to think about doing the gauze filter at the same time :weary_face:
    How often does this normally get done , is it every other oil change ?
    Bike is heading towards 7,000 miles total, and has done around 2000 miles since last oil change last year.
    Thanks in advance for advice

4. Hypermac, ideally the gauze filter should be checked on every oil change.
    Its also a good indication of any other problems that might be developing. This used to be the way of early diagnosis of flakey chrome on 996 cam followers.

5. If you plan on doing oil changes yourself look up the guard mod , if you have a center stand .

The gauze filter will require some gasket maker for re-installation or you can get a replacement part that has a permanent rubber seal , I have checked my Multi twice in 13000 km,s and filter was completely clean both times .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information