1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Oil Leak Clutch Cage/pushrod

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by SamRforce, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Going to revive this thread as I'm having similar issues.

Push rod o-rings replaced twice, Push rod oil seal replaced twice (tried both sides) hammered it gently enough until it's seated squarely like Sam's photo above....

But after every single ride, I get back and there's oil leaking out the bottom of clutch.

I undo the clutch cover, take the pressure plate off and sure enough the push rod seal has popped out of it's seat allowing oil to bypass. Every ride, every time.

Back of the case is dry, so unlikely to be the main seal.

What am I doing wrong?

2. TNR, have you checked the pushrod is true and is the plate centre bearing ok?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. You have to to hammer it hard :) Don’t be gently. With a cilinder driver. Flat side of the seal is the out side. Mount clutch rod from the left side after pressure plate assembly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks Sam, I'll give it a go and report back.

5. Again reviving this one because it's starting to get me down.

2 months later and leak is still there. Starting to get oil on my rear tire which can't be good. Replaced pushrod o rings again, but to no avail.

Here are some pics:

After taking pressure plate off (throwout bearing turns nice and smooth) and pulling pushrod out through the left side...

20200925_172505.jpg

But on closer inspection, is there another seal behind the clutch nut?

20200925_173002.jpg

Certainly looks like it.

End of my pushrod is tarnished brown. Heat? I lightly grease both ends whenever I install so not sure what the change of colour represents.

20200925_172448.jpg

It is straight, runs true. Has only done 7K miles.

Anyway, drove in seal again (with decent force) as per normal. Looks to fit ok, assuming I have it in right...

20200925_173946.jpg

It's this part number

20200925_174017.jpg

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread but I'm pulling my hair out wondering what I have to do to stop the leak!

#25 TNR, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  6. Personally I wouldn't grease the pressure plate end of the rod, if the rod is a tight fit into the top hat bush and the bush is a tight fit into the pressure plate bearing, the bearing should then do its work and stop the rod from spinning, the brown heat mark could be the rod spinning in the top hat bush.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I had the same, oli on my back wheel, but what you dit now seems correct. Is it fixed ?

8. Not fixed, still leaking.
    Going to replace needle bearing and see if that makes a difference.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information