1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Oil Leak

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by pasty PFC, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hi all,

Just had a blast on the 848, had lots of fun but a bit chilly!

When putting it away I noticed a small puddle of oil on the casing rearward of the vertical head.

I noticed fluid there l when I bought it but put it down to a disconnected breather hose above it.

Any experience with such a leak? I fear it’s coming from the head gasket...

2. Oh! It’s definitely coming from the head gasket. I took a photo to illustrate the leak and the flash exposed the tell tale!

3. So is this common with the 848?

I read somewhere that the bolts can stretch if the bike isn’t warmed up properly before it’s loaded. Any truth in that?

What’s the remedy; head off, new studs, new gasket? Or re-torque the nuts?

4. Try torquing the head down first.. Nothing to lose. If that doesn't cure it, then yep. It's head off and a new gasket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hi Guys!

I have a streetfighter 1098, 2011 year model bike with me. Recently I went on top speed for quiet a long distance. Further, I did service recently and oil level was in correct level. after this recent ride i noticed that oil level has reached above the maximum bar and its starts to overflow. does anyone of you know the reason?

6. Well, you are in an oil producing region...

Seriously though, was the bike vertical or on its side stand for filling and later checking??

7. I've had this a few times when I've changed the oil filter on panigales despite doing everything by the numbers. It seems to collect somewhere when filling it back up even after running it for a bit, and then when you ride it comes through. You need to let some out otherwise you will be pushing it though the seals every time you go hard.

8. thanks bro... my mood got ****ed when i see it

• Like Like x 1
  9. And welcome Dave. Introduce yourself in the newbies section whydoncha :)

10. Sorry for an old thread resurrection!
    Did the Op get this resolved?
    I have the same problem on my 848 streetfighter which seems to have been possibly caused by a similar situation.
    Thanks.

11. Hi Jimmy. Sorry I’ve not quite concluded the matter yet. The head bolts torque was fine. I since found that the blow by hose was cracked where the clip fixes it to the blow by valve. I’m hoping the oil was coming from there. I’m rebuilding the bike now, should know if I’ve fixed it in the next few weeks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Thanks for reply Pasty. I hope it fixes it.

13. Fingers crossed...

14. Hi Jimmy,

i have noticed there were oil leak from 2 places right above the crank case, and from oil cooler heat exchange are been leaked.

15. No joy I’m afraid. Started it up today and once up at temperature and I can confirm there is the slightest of leaks coming from the head gasket.

I think I’m going to complete the rebuild and enjoy riding it for the warmer months. Then I’ll strip it and try again next winter...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sorry to hear it didn't work Pasty.
    Mine is also confirmed as head gasket. Going to wait till next service to get it fixed. Mine leaks from the rear left bolt if you look down from above.

17. Yea same here, though it could be forming at the lowest point (due to being on the side stand). I’m thinking of warming the bike up and giving the bolts a tweak, might be enough.

18. Good point about being on the side stand!
    If it helps the dealer said not to worry about it too much as its minor . I also did 3 days on track at portimao in 30 degree heat and it was fine. Just wiped it off at the end of each day.

19. Hey Jimmy,

Did you ever get your leak looked at?

I’ve started my winter service and just got to the point where I remove the head. Just interested to know if you have any more information before I do.

Also can anyone add anything to the advice I was given? I was told that if you replace the head gasket you must also replace the barrel gasket. Surely if it’s not disturbed, there’s no need?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information