1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Oil Leak ..

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Warnie, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Just found this leak on my 1200 DVT.

I have been cleaning the area up in the past thinking it was oil coming from the chain. But now this last week it has got a lot worse.

The oil has dripped onto my kickstand and there's a small pool of oil at the bottom of it.

Any ideas before I investigate more? PXL_20220402_135108458.jpg PXL_20220402_135059963.jpg

2. What is the colour of the oil ? Andy

3. Do you think it could be coolant?

4. I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but I've seen similar on a friend's Multi and the leak was from a cracked gearbox casing. In his case it appears a stone or similar was caught in the chain and it went round the primary drive sprocket. On the way it pushed the chain up and that impacted the casing, causing a crack.
    There's not a lot of clearance between the chain on the sprocket and the casing. Since seeing what can happen I fitted a casing saver, which is a steel strip which fits around there and offers a little protection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Looking like trade in time.......

6. I was wondering if it was clutch fluid. Ducati clutch slave cylinders have a reputation of failing. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clutch fluid level is fine unfortunately.

Thanks though

8. That's worrying.

Did he get it repaired ?

9. It's worth taking off the sprocket cover and giving the area underneath a good clean.

With any luck it could be just excessive chain lube.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Thanks, I will do that tomorrow, but I use wax and clean the chain regularly so not holding out much hope.

Really struggling to find anything on the internet regarding cracked gearbox cases on the multi. I just hope it's not that.

11. It could also just be the oil seal behind the sprocket. It is easily replaceable in situ. Most likely the case if you have ruled out chain lube.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Luckily we were going to World Ducati Week (this was 2012) and had stopped in Bologna to visit the Ducati factory. Ducati had a service centre nearby where the problem was analysed. They pulled a casing from the production line and fitted it. I can't remember how long it took, but I do know he had to pay for it though he got some sort of discount.
    So yes, it was repaired, but by replacement.
    Good luck, fingers crossed its the primary drive seal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. There (if you are lucky) is where your problem may lie.
    If you lube the chain too often, it will all build up inside the casing and ultimately dribble out looking like dirty oil.

On sealed ring chains, you only need enough exterior lube to stop the chain rollers and plates from corroding. All the real lube is sealed inside the chains.

14. Good to know as it turned out to be exactly as you described. Under the sprocket cover it was very mucky!

I've only had the bike a few months so it's the 1st time I've had the cover off.

Really pleased as I was fearing the worst. Gave it some fresh oil and a new filter as well.

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice

• Like Like x 6
  15. Mines actually the same,..I can't face finding out whats what just yet. Got a ride down too Pool tuesday to view a lorry I might buy

16. If it turns out not to be excess chain lube, check the clutch push rod seals, cheap and easy to replace.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I am pleased you seem to be sorted. I have seen the same issue on many bikes, not just on Multis. Over lubing sealed chains is a common occurrence. Some goes on your back wheel, but most ends up in your casing which then leaks out ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Think it maybe this. Noticed it coming back again but only when bike is on the side stand. It will explain my excessive oil consumption as well.

Clutch fluid level hasn't moved. Does anyone have an idea of cost for this job? If it's not too difficult I could do it myself.

19. Take the sprocket cover off, degrease the area properly, you could even dust a little talc powder in the area and then you'll see where it's coming from, my money is on push rod seals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information