1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Pressure Switch In Oil Cooler.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Nov 7, 2017.

1. The 900SS mongrel I’m building is coming on slowly.
    Took a week of work last week expecting to get some progress made, but ended up spending half the week replacing rotten outer roof joists on our 26yr old house, having expected to just rub down and paint the soffits!!

Anyway, Oil Coolers and Oil pressure switches.

I was going to use a standard 900SS oil cooler mounted in the lower position, and a std Oil pressure switch in the inner Clutch cover.
    Although I was thinking about possibly mounting the cooler in the higher Monster position where it should get better airflow.

However, every time I look at my M900 that bloody wire going to the Oil pressure switch bugs me. Daft I know, but it’s annoying and not easy to tidy up.

I was looking on ebay at the later Triangular shaped Oil coolers from later bikes, thinking that one would look a bit more trick on the 900, and noticed that some have provision for a sensor, I suppose it could be Oil temperature or Oil pressure.

Can anyone think of any reason why I couldn’t use one of these Oil coolers with an oil pressure switch on either the M900 or 900SS?

I believe the pressure should be the same in both locations, or have I missed something.

Thanks

Nasher.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Should be fine mate, just blank off the existing port obviously. My MTS engines have a blanking plug (a button head bolt with a copper washer) in that location.

As you know the sensor detects if there's any pressure only not how much.

3. Thanks AD, I'm hatching a plot at the moment.

The other option appears to be 848 oil lines with a sensor port in the line itself.

Nasher

4. Yeah that's right, I don't run one on my track bike either, as you say - by the time it's come on it's too late!

5. My Monster;

[​IMG]

Cooler is from a 1098RS and also uses the push-in fittings so needed special hoses. Other alternative is that some of the later bikes have the pressure sender in the line, apparently they fail less when fitted to the (flexible) line than to the case?

6. Where did you get the hoses made/adapted? TIA :upyeah:

7. I bought the hoses from a US ebay seller, they were said to be for 998RS?

Whilst they had the right fittings they were too long as this, pre-cut pic shows;

[​IMG]

I took them to a local hydraulics supplier (Pirtek) who cut off the (engine) end and re-swaged it back at the correct length - you will note (in the installed pic) the sleeve/fitting is longer, this because they didn't have the shorter, original type but the ones they used work fine.

Supplier was 'valtermotousa', here's a link to a similar hose he has for sale; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Duc...124755?hash=item27d713d153:g:4FgAAOxygj5SlR0p

I've had a few things from him as he has many hard to find Ducati parts at reasonable prices, delivers quickly too. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thats not a 1098rs oil cooler
    Looks like an early 1098 I think

9. I don't know for sure what it is from, it was advertised (ebay) as 1098RS but although a similar design/shape to 1098, it is much bigger and has different mounting points.

The reason I bought it was the mounting points match a Monster/SS bracket whereas a normal 1098 cooler would need an awkward looking custom bracket making to fit the bike, I bought a standard 1098 cooler before and was looking at doing this until I found the larger cooler...

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thanks guys, all interesting stuff.

11. Another interesting thing I've noticed, is that assuming the Stein Dinse website is correct, the 900FE had a Monster style Oil Cooler arrangement with the Cooler in the higher position.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Nasher

12. Looks like it

img_7959.jpg img_7958.jpg

13. Thanks AD.

My worry is that a 'High' position Oil Cooler on the SS could make the Vertical pot run even hotter than it does already!

Nasher

14. Really it's the rear of the vertical cylinder that has the problem, I've seen a custom jobbie where they reversed the rear head (so the exhaust port faces forward into the air stream, imagine the work involved!).

I've run 900SS' for decades and the oil cooling isn't enough for 'spirited use' in the summer in the UK, I ended up running two oil coolers - one in the standard position and one in the upper position - to prevent the oil from thinning too much, worked a treat. If you choose to do this you'll need a bypass switch so that you can bypass one of the coolers in the winter to ensure the oil gets hot enough... oh the fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The later carbed 750SS had the higher mounted oil cooler - OK, it was out of the road crap a bit more, but it made adjusting the carb balance and idle speed harder - you have to unbolt it from the mount and it is still hard to get at the adjustment screws. It also prevents the lower cross panel being fitted when you have a half fairing.

On the 600SS a smaller oil cooler is sometimes found in the nose of the fairing behind the slotted grille.

IMO, if anyone is concerned about oil pressure, it is easy enough to fit an electronic pressure gauge somewhere on the top yoke, which uses the same take off point for the OEM 'warning' switch. Alternatively fit a capillary type gauge fitted to the same take - off point, but it needs to be mounted somewhere off the yoke, ie, so the capillery tube (coiled or not) isn't moving about.

16. I suppose a gauge is more use than the warning light - it tells you when your pressure is going, rather than when it has already gone.

17. I'm looking into the pressure gauge options, as of course it's perfectly true that a low pressure warning on a gauge before the motor goes pop completely would be very worth while.

Does anyone know the thread size of the standard pressure switch to save me measuring it and working out the pitch?

Thanks

Nasher.

18. M10 x 1.0mm, (same as brake banjo).

19. I'm still playing with this.
    As Sev mentions above I have the later type adaptors so I can use any later type cooler.

I have a 1098(I think) triangular oil cooler on the way with it's hoses, and will mock it up to see what it looks like.
    Whilst I'm waiting for it to arrive I've been messing about with a Multistrada 1000 cooler and lines which could look quite trick if I can get it right, and the smaller area will be compensated for by the longer lines.

It's only hung loosely in the images below, I'd make sure it was vertical and would have to add a heatshield between it and my projector headlights.
    Although I'm not sure I actually like it, and would need to cut the horizontal section out of the bottom of the nosecone to get it some more air.

I suppose I'll make a decision when I've mocked up both versions.

PB160001.JPG

PB160004.JPG

Nasher

20. Masher, looking good but where's the wiring gonna go?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information