1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Oil Reset Notice - Cannot Cleared

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Put simplistically like that, yes it's all down to money.

2. Just for Nobbie's benefit and I am not going to call him any names - no need for that.
    I have done 2 Desmo and 1 Oil change already on the bike and have reset the reminders with no problem - but this time it wont reset.

This has nothing to do with service history - already there are 2 Desmo and 1 Oil service with no Service history
    to show and I dont have a problem with this and whoever buys this bike will know very well there is no history.

Not wanting to spend the money.... again and again it has nothing to do with this discussion but I guess is a waste of time repeating it.

As you said the light can stay there, is not affecting the bike and actually I am interested to find out what will happen when the next reminder is due to come on. It's the principle - to some is important to others not but should be discussed politely.

#42 Stavrich, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  3. Stavrich, you tell us that Melcodiag is failing to turn the light off. Have you tried MultiTool Lite? It should work for models up to 2014.

4. Ime pretty sure re setting a service light and showing it as half hour diag on the invoice does not give you the liability of someone elses workmanship ! ime also pretty sure that a lot of folks out there have more ability than people in the industry, which in its self is sad that the motor industry now needs a higher breed of talent than it can pay in wages, sad but true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

5. its another press of the left button to get to the air temp setting i ride on... in winter thats important to me.

6. I’m quiet impressed with my service history. Everything is recorded, I have the valve measurements on spreadsheets, folders with the mileage and type of service and each receipt is in the relevant folder. I even record interim parts replacements such as a weeping gear selector O-ring I’ve recently done. I’d be fuming if I went to those lengths and still couldn’t erase a service reminder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. thats proper anorak stuff that make buying your bike a pleasure, good work

8. Is that you home servicing or the dealer servicing it for you ?

9. Oh she’s not for sale. If it broke and I ran out of money, I’d probably fit pedals and make vroom vroom noises. That’s proper love :heart:
    home servicing.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Yes, I have tried the Multitool Lite and it wont reset - something has happened to the ECU and it wont accept the reset command. JP-diag tried very hard to help by giving me different commands to try out but it wont budge.
    Possibly my recent ABS/Speed sensor error (I have posted on this forum the problem and solution) I had while the "Oil Service in 200m" was on could have messed up the ecu program....could be but I cant think how.

Another possibility the reset commands for 37k miles and onwards are completely different.

:upyeah:
    Same here - everything recorded including all other repairs (and with photos) - even keep the replaced parts apart from the oil filters... too messy..:)

#50 Stavrich, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  11. With regards to service lights the car trade have been doing this for years, BMW especially but once the vehicle is out of warranty who cares if the service is done by an independant? Those guys will have bought Ducati equipment and can do the resets and nothing is recorded at Ducati it just costs a fortune, I'm sure if you contact an indy they will reset the service light for a fee, I do with cars. I get it that you could buy a bike with lights swtiched off but surely the stamped service book would be a concern not the lights? Even the service book stamps are worthless (with cars at least) as stamps can be ordered for a tenner with anything you like and technicians will stamp books up for fifty quid so my advice would be to always check the service book and ring the dealers in the book to clarify work done, if it's been done and light is on ask them to stamp it. If you do your own servicing keep receipts for all the parts, take pictures and keep it all in your history file and ask an independent to switch off the service lights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Would we end up with a load of bikes on the market with full dealer history?
    Surely you cant expect to service your bike on the cheap and expect the main dealer to sign it off for you.
    There should be a way of knocking out the warning lights without involving a main dealer, but who knows if the work has been carried out properly if at all.
    You could never trust a bikes history ever again.

13. No because last time I checked, dealers still stamp log books too. Also, dealers invoices for works are on their headed/printed sheets. My receipt for oil/filters/shims/O-Rings etc, come from a shop and there is no invoice for labour.

If you want dealer serviced, look for invoices from the dealer

14. @Stavrich - I've just seen this on FB. I've not watched it but maybe it will help you

• Like Like x 1
  15. Well that was very helpful El Torro, trying to use the software last night with a Bluetooth OBD11 and the Melcodiag program and it will not connect, tried for bloody ages couldn’t get it to work so have ordered the version he is using:upyeah:

16. @El Toro - Thanks El Torro, I have been using MelcoDiag for the last two years and have successfully reset 2 X Desmo and 1 x Oil Service reminders. Just out of the blue it will not reset the 37k miles Oil Service reminder. Even the MelcoDiag developer is baffled.
    MelcoDiag is very good and has helped me identified errors and solve some problems.

@PeterT - its critical that you get the right ELM v1.4 and cable (Lonelec) - I bought 4 ELMs till I got the right one :).

• Like Like x 1
  17. It must have the FT232RL chipset.

18. Purely from an economic standpoint, can I ask why anyone would refuse an official service at around £250 stating it is too expensive, but then buy all the service items anyway, and also the full electrical equipment they need to cancel the service light

What would be the price differences?

#58 noobie, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  19. Service items would be purchased anyway and the electonic item is a one-time purchase anyway. That would all come in less than £250 and you'd then have the gizmo for next service. My valve service on the KTM cost me £122.42 plus my time. Damn site cheaper than any dealer even if I purchased a new Lonelec cable every time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Is there (long shot) anybody here who both has the ability and would do so, actually turn the flipping service light off on a 16 dvt bike?

Mine is going to OYB for a service next month so no problem but after that I would like to do my own work, apart from the BIG one but regular oil changes etc are a doddle. Not doing to many miles each year means the light comes on way before it needs a service.

Ta.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information