1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Oil Reset Notice - Cannot Cleared

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Wow, this thread has run on a bit. And now I'm going to add some more to it :laughing:
    (apologies for the long post)

To answer your question, From an economic standpoint, my local independent bike shop charges half the hourly rate, and is (imo) technically more competent than the monkies the dealer I bought my bike from employ. This local guy has been in and around racing all his life, and I both trust him to do a good job, and want to support a local guy. He doesn't see enough Ducati business to invest £1500 in a tool that only does limited models. He therefore cannot reset service lights, and consequently either wont take the work on, or for those that don't care provides a receipt that states the service has been completed but light has not been reset.
    He services my older bikes when I can't be arsed to do so.

There are excellent mechanics out there who like being self employed, but there are also some at main dealers who have no respect and limited ability.
    I appreciate this is not from an economic standpoint. I have witnessed whilst at my dealers a bike fall off the service ramp because they forgot to put the securing straps on. Another time they started a bike without fitting the sump plug or filling with oil. Every time I took my bikes to the dealer in the past, it came back with issues. They are not a solus dealer, and I am pretty sure (as it makes economic sense for them) that if say a trained Yamaha mechanic is lightly loaded for work he will work on another make of bike, regardless of whether he has been 'trained' to work on it. I accept that, but he probably knows a lot less about my bike than I do.

Some jobs are not done for financial reasons, they are done for any number of reasons including convenience, trust, and timing.
    If I can do a job and keep my bike in the best mechanical condition, why wouldn't I ?

This comes down to what is considered ongoing owner conducted maintenance. I know many people who have the dealers change brake pads, chain and sprockets, and tyres. I can do all of these at my convenience, as no doubt many others can, so why wouldn't we do so when convenient, and avoid the wait and cost to have a dealer do it. Some of us actually enjoy working on our bikes, allegedly ;)
    I do mid-interval oil changes on my bike Thats not for financial reasons obviously. Its not a big cost, and means I know everything is sweet before heading off on a 3k mile trip. I record all of this in the service books, backed up by the receipts.
    So why shouldn't I do the same when the non-desmo oil service (or indeed the desmo service) is due ?

This is not purely about cost, as seems to be the main point that keeps being raised.

My bike is out of warranty, and I can perform all the same tasks a main dealer does. Changing oil, filter, belts, etc is not rocket science, and doesn't need any expensive equipment. The tools required to do this will pay for themselves in one service when offset against main dealer labour costs, with the exception of a service reset tool. A desmo service is north of 700 quid at a main dealer, yet the service parts to do the service are less than £200.

I can follow service manuals just as any trained mechanic can, and therefore complete the work in accordance with their procedures.
    That used to be the argument presented, ensuring they were actually maintained correctly. Sadly a main dealer stamp is no indicator of this, they miss / skip stuff too.

I have an OBD tool for cars, and can read fault codes, reset service lights, perform electronic handbrake services etc on everything I've owned: Vauxhall, VW, Audi, BMW, Mini, Range Rover, Porsche, etc. This is all achieved from one tool that costs ~£160.

The point to all this, is the inability for me and other owners, plus independent mechanics to do the same for the more recent (after 2010) Ducatis.
    There simply isn't a cost effective tool available to us.
    Using a freeware program is OK (and fair play to the guy for writing it), but its not ideal.

I fully understand the argument Nelly presented of a dealer not wanting to put their name against a service they didn't conduct. I respect that.
    I also accept Ducati want to record history (whether a dealer will download and share it with a customer is debatable). Its valuable for their metrics to record failures and assist with claims. The fact they cant record a service light reset independent of a service is (imo) pants. They have created this restriction, no one else.

Quick, someone take my keyboard away... :blush:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Well after sorting out my cable and obd reader I have managed to reset my Desmo and oil service reminder, reset my TPS and now runs lovely, better than before.
    So worth it in my eyes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Can you do this on a 16 DVT?

4. Going to have the same problem later in the year when my service is due. And like a couple of previous comments about dealers with suspect capabilities ( I had to readjust my chain after the last service at my dealer and that was not the first dealer fault over the years ) what software are you using as I'm going to start doing the servicing myself.

5. I know it wouldn't make much difference but I wonder how many people would buy a Ducati it the salesman said whilst giving you the speel on rider modes, "once you own the bike you can only get it serviced by a Ducati authorised garage or you will have a service reminder on your dash forever, or until you scum to the torment and pay our steelership prices for a service".?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wouldn't affect my decision jcmental, and I will likely keep my next one past the end of its warranty period too.

7. @jcmental - it's a matter of principle for me. I will not allow to be blackmailed - I will walk away. If a lot of people do that...guess what the result will be.

And to make it clear - this has nothing to do with money!

And now on 42k miles and still flashing the Oil Service reminder. Wonder what will happen when the Desmo service is due in a few months......

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. It doesn.t detract from the product though.
    So owners not committing to buy because of that would be no issue I guess.

9. £200 for changing oil/filter it is very expensive. But taking the economic aspect aside, for me is more about trust the quality. Issues in the past made me service my own cars and bikes even when still in warranty.
    As per the reminder service light, I own a 17 dvt base model and I just back date the dash to turn the reminder off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I understand your anger but apart from asking that question about the reset before you buy, It still amazes me that anyone would spend £15k on a bike then moan about a £250 service. I'm all for saving money when you can but perhaps some should have bought a ching lun if you wanted minimal service costs and not a ducati?

#72 noobie, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  11. Do we not assume this to be the case?

12. Mmm I bought the bike in better times, unfortunately my circumstances have changed, they tend to do that once in a while. Who knew the factory I worked in 4 years ago would close down and move to the US? Who knew the only job I would find would be 58 miles from my home through single carriageways and back roads? Who knew my son would also lose his job and have to come and live back at home on universal credit?
    Think before type bud, not all of us have well paid jobs and have life handed to us on a plate, £250 on a service that I could do with my eyes shut is just a waste, and because it's my bike I bet I'd pay more attention to doing it right than a one in one out groundhog day garage.
    All they need to do is say yes we'll reset you reminder but we want to wright in your service manual that we only reset it. it's not like I'm asking for a guarantee on my work. Oh and I spent £17.5 k on my bike cash.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Did you ask about the reset function for the service light first? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I would mate. Even If I'd pay £50K in a motor vehicle I'd rather spend £250 in petrol enjoying it than wasting it with an unreliable service.

I

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. lol nope, but I wish they had told me that I'd have to keep going back for as long as the bike shall live. Dont get me wrong, the bike is all I could have hoped for and more but I just dont like being held to ransom for my services.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Fully agree "being held at ransom".
    This has nothing to do with money. Is a matter of principle. They should not have the right to hold owners at ransom for ever.
    I am "happy" to pay half an hour labour to clear the message but not to be force to have the service done by them.

The invoice can state clearly " only Reset service reminder - No service done " in big red letters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Being held to ransom

[​IMG]

a special tool for blocking a spanner picture on your motorcycle clock from your eyesight

[​IMG]

:D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Does anybody have the knowledge of the “exact” bit of kit and software you need to access the ecu and reset stuff? I guess it’s going to be around £1500 ish but if someone was to purchase it then for a reasonable fee the reset could be done. In my case a 16 DVT.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information