1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 14, 2017.

1. i genuinely think you should give this strip down a go C.R. its just lots of little jobs you probably would otherwise do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've never removed a cylinder head or even seen a rocker or valve.

Videos seem in short supply on YouTube.

3. Totally agree with @finm get yourself a good torque wrench and start opening it up, it will give you loads more confidence going forward, and it's all just nuts and bolts at the end of the day.

Just ensure you have a copy of the workshop manual and all the torque settings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You lot may have a very "entertaining" couple of months coming up.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. maybe get the heads checked and recond professionally.
    do it. :upyeah:

6. There are those that can and those that cannot. Not all those who can choose to but sadly some of those who cannot still choose to. I what is laughingly called "maintained" but in reality meant routinely rebuilding a string of British bikes from the late 60s through to the late 80s before realising my time was better spent doing stuff I enjoyed plus I have never found anyone prepared to pick up a box of bits after my lack of knowledge and experience failed me. I appreciate your man cave/shed might be a nice place to be but if you don't ride in the cold, why would you spend endless hours in it over winter ? Just my perspective :cool:. Andy

7. I do think you do need to recognise your limitations.
    I was once convinced by a mechanic at BMW hq in west London that I should be able to rebuild an R75/5 gearbox to replace a knackered clutch pinion.
    It was absolutely fine - until it seized...

8. Having had a read through the Ducati 999 Workshop.pdf....

No.

9. It would be a very accurate reconstruction of my avatar.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. If you lads wanna see oil coming out of everywhere you should see my H2 triple!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I still cannot understand how could the oil get on the upper side of the spark plug? Are you sure no leakage past teh cover seal.
    Either way I would take it to someone that knows them in and out...but before that I would fit 2 brand new spark plugs torqued to specs and ride the bike for 50miles see if the same.
    Maybe was blowing past the ring at the spark plug? Small chance...

You said you had a remap and dyno...has it been mapped separately for vertical and horizontal cylinder?
    When I took my VTR sp2 the guy mapped each cylinder separately(done some exhaust work to separate the cylinders) ..so both bikes being V2 I guess the 999 would need the same. Taking my 998s FE in the winter for remap.

12. yep. pro Custome Map before and after.JPG per map.

13. Put her back together, she starts! (that's always a positive!). Anyway, noticed the black smoke is out the left exhaust exit which is the vertical cylinder so that all adds up.

Anyway, sticking her on the trailer then off to Luigi Moto, hopefully Sat 25th...............

14. it will be, any oil that was in the spark plug hole is now in that cylinder. you sure you need a rebuild....

15. I have no idea (see avatar) but it has been using oil hence the start of this epic saga. I could tax her again and try to do a few hundred miles but it's winter and christmas is coming so I probably wouldn't achieve any decent miles till March. At which point garages get busy and I want to be doing TD's.

16. all good, just messing. i was wondering tho,why the bottom half of the thread on the plug looked oiled up to.

17. I haven't read this all through yet, but it appears nobody has mentioned that oil burns with blue smoke; petrol with black smoke and condensation blows white steam.

The OP mentioned he had black smoke.

Just sayin', like.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Does the 998 have two coolant sensors like the 916 models. The 916 has one for the ECU and the other for the gauge
    If the ECU one is faulty the ECU will over fuel it because it thinks the engine is cold hence black smoke

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. I’m way late to this thread.
    But as Arquebus states.
    Oil burns blue.
    It needs a cylinder leak test!
    Which should confirm it’s leaking passed the rings. Compression checking is all well and good but not a reliable way to diagnose what the problem is.
    Either way I’m sorry for your loss!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. I'm sure, confident, blindly hopeful it won't be bad enough the bike needs breaking.......

Do Not Sell My Personal Information