1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Ducati Or New Mv

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Nostromo, May 11, 2018.

1. You'll probably lose less on the 749 but the MV will be an experience.
    I tried out a Brutale 800 and loved it! I'd have bought it if they weren't asking silly prices and gave me a crap offer for my Scrambler.

The engine was intoxicating though. Way more lively than a Triumph triple. The crack from the quickshifter at high RPM was something else.

I also almost bought it just so I had an excuse to buy this...
    https://www.scproject-shop.com/imag...ffler_scproject_exhaust_mv_brutale_800_MV.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. If i were faced with the choice that the op had.... I'd go for the mv, it's mechanical artwork.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yip...if I didn't have my hypermotard a dragster would be my next bike...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not a bad looking bike are they, bit biased though .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Lovely - its the only bike i think id part with my RSV4 for....have to be the RR though. Puts out a bit more than the vanilla one..kinda looks like a Present day Hypermotard 1100

6. Pretty much as others have said... 749S will give you the amazing feedback and feel for your weekend blasts and will be superb on country roads when you are in the mood. Apart from the running costs (damn belts lol), will be a better investment. Might be a chore on the commute if you need to filter and speeds are low.
    MV (not ridden one) will be great fun and better for commuting, more modern tech, still great for weekend blasts, easier to ride slowly when you're not in the mood, possibly better with a passenger, but higher depreciation (unless you can wait 10 years...)
    It's actually a tough call (he says, sitting on the fence!)
    Good luck - whatever decision you make will be the right one!

7. I have the solution to your problem

BUY BOTH

• Like Like x 1
  8. Had the bike awhile now, it's fast it's sharp and it looks the biz, ive had fun on it over 1500 miles and given some r1 owners cause to hide in shame,long trip down to royal Williams dock in plymouth with no problems, but now I'm missing the feel of a twin....
    749s/999 is calling me after watching the first part of the budget bike build Italia!

9. My Turismo failed on three separate points, all electrics related, on a recent trip to the Dolomites. It did rain a fair bit and it seems these bikes are somewhat moisture averse. I already knew this...

Quick shifter malfunction (already had one replaced under warranty). This time it caused a mystery misfire. We had to make assumptions and try to eliminate potential culprits. Thankfully the QS can be disabled via the dash and that solved it.

Side stand switch failure caused a sudden and total cut-out overtaking a line of lorries at speed on the autobahn, very scary. Disconnected this which solved the issue.

Clutch slave cylinder pressure sensor sprung a leak out of the back resulting in complete, back to the bars, clutch actuation failure. Thankfully we had the tools to detach the gear linkage, strip the sprocket cover, removed the switch and the bodge-ability to cut slots into one of the small stainless fairing screws to tap into the brass fluid way port of the switch, add some Loctite and shear this off flush sealing off the switch. This last one I was thinking was the one where I would have need recovery from France (was almost back to the UK).

One failure, or even two I could have maybe forgiven, three like this starts to cast doubt and make my foreign trips a concern.

All these issues will be properly fixed when I have the time, the QS will get a better unit if MV won't replace out of goodwill. After this the bike will be sold and I'll then, at long last, be buying a Multistrada.

10. Had a little jolly south today to pick this 749s up, well chuffed just got to do the belts(Is there a tool list or tutorial on here? only good one ive found is the old one on youtube) beautiful bike with loads of extras,can wait to get it on the road! IMG_20180722_101311944.jpg InkedIMG_20180722_130156569_LI.jpg
    PS i now hate these! IMG_20180722_164214435.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. and a proper trailer:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Had a little jolly south today to pick this 749s up, well chuffed just got to do the belts(Is there a tool list or tutorial on here? only good one ive found is the old one on youtube) beautiful bike with loads of extras,can wait to get it on the road! View attachment 124738 View attachment 124739
    PS i now hate these! View attachment 124740
    I have some good friends with good trailers!

13. Always helps if they have something you want or need in life:)enjoy your new ride:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. I chopped in an 848sf fit an 800rr brutale, was an amazing bike and very exciting to ride. Had the sprag issue and the side stand switch causing it to cut out a couple of times but at low speed. Absolutely loved the brutale and having recently swapped for a 1290 super duke wondered if I'd done the right thing riding to the dealers to trade it. Lovely bike and a work of art.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I agree, I have a test ride on a new Multistrada on Wednesday and I know for a start that I will miss the finely balanced, yet sharp, handling of the Turismo, the addictive engine and mostly the superb attention to detail that abounds from every component and every angle. This is tempered however by the catalogue of recent electrical failures whilst on tour. All being addressed at the moment. New clutch switch sitting here waiting for the time to fit it. The side stand switch will be inspected and cleaned as that might be all that it needs, failing that it will be replaced. The quick-shift sensor will be changed for a more reliable HM one now that they have confirmed the correct fitment. Either way I'll have a sorted bike again, the decision might come down to what I'm offered in part exchange.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information