1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Rider Down

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Old rider, Jul 7, 2019.

1. I certainly wouldn’t have come off if I’d been on one of those but it’s seriously ugly

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. You could put a Mutley sticker on it :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Fugly more like

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. I was trying to be polite :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. My mate walked down the isle on crutches with a broken leg and wrist he broke the night before his wedding the day he passed his bike test to a pregnant bride with their first child and he still managed to keep his (broken) bike.

Now THAT was a tough negotiation!.

Trick is to agree without committing and just don't talk about bikes at all for ages.

6. OR, I have had a similar discussion. In my case I was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was too close to being a very serious outcome and has focused Mrs Denzil's and Denzilina's minds on what could have happened. I have to get mobile and fit and get some strength back (once I am able) and fully intend repairing the bike. Will have to revisit in the spring, for me to stop riding because of someone's lack of attention and careless driving is not a reason to stop riding, its not so cut and dried for others however. Whatever happens, now is not the time to sell a bike and holding it in the garage until the spring is a sensible way of preventing a £1k loss on the sale. Perhaps by then things may change for you. I wish you luck

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. I tried to do just that but daughter kept stirring things up, thinking she was supporting me, so it didn't work.

8. My missus claims it might have been different if I'd just been unlucky but the fact that it was my poor judgement that caused it, makes her determined to dig her heels in.
    In a way it's hard to argue. There has to come a point when to ride a litre sports bike as it should be ridden, you have to question whether you still have the necessary reaction times etc and if you don't ride it as it should be ridden, why ride a litre sports bike??

9. I had very similar reactions from my wife when I came off and broke my scapula into three pieces, she took the garage key and hid it, the fact that a few years earlier I had cancer and chemo for six months, her argument was that she nearly lost me to cancer and didn't want to risk loosing me to a bike accident, I had another key to the garage anyway which she didn't know about, so I started repairing the bike ( as you did) with one arm in a sling, then she came home early one day and caught me, that broke the ice a little and in time she had no choice but to accept the bike was here to stay, it now has a couple of others to keep it company.
    Hope it all works out, make sure you're happy with whatever decision you make though, good luck.
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Thanks Steve,
    Really pleased both situations worked out for you.
    It's a bad time of year to sell it now anyway, so I may well have to wait until Spring. Maybe if I still have it, she will soften between now and then but I shan't be holding my breath...

• Like Like x 3
  11. Good idea to hang on for a while, just keep popping out to give her a clean and start her up, let the wife know you haven't lost interest.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Of course...

13. I do need to make at least an attempt to sell it and I'd much rather it went to someone on here than to someone on Gumtree who's going to neglect it, so I'll put something on the for sale section.

14. You can treat yourself to some cojones with the money you get!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Thanks for the kick while down

16. That’s what I had in 96, 2 big plates and 10 screws now holding my right hip together. I was doing about 40mph when I hit my right knee on the rear left pillar of a van.

While in hospital another guy had exactly the same as me but all he did was get his front bicycle wheel caught in a grating in Hyde Park and flip over the top.

All fine now apart from the cold weather.

17. Ah, the cold weather's your fault is it?? ;) lol

Glad you're ok now :)

18. Screwed my golf swing though, used to be a 12 handicap now 21.

And getting worse.

19. I'm surprised a hip injury would have such an effect on your handicap. Douglas Bader played off scratch with tin legs...

20. Being able to move the hips is a crucial part of a golf swing, suprisingly complex series of movements to hit a little white ball.
    O.R. stick with it and don't give up hope too soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information