1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Rider Down

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Old rider, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Agree, and Honda had linked braking for a few years previous but it was about the end of the nineties that majority of manufacturers started to offer ABS and out of all it was the Ducati system that was considered the most useful on a bike. If the BMW system was as good then I'm happy to be corrected :upyeah:

2. It's quite frightening to realise just how fragile and vulnerable you can be when doing the simplest things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The first Ducati with ABS was the ST4s ABS introduced for 2003. I had one that I had for just short of 50,000 miles. It was a brilliant bike and the ABS was very good. I only had the ABS come on a couple of times but can confirm that the ABS would allow it to do a stoppie on the front wheel :astonished:

• Like Like x 2
  4. All the best :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. To be honest i didn't know ABS had been on a bike that long.

6. My recollection is that the BMW flying bricks had it and quite a few Hondas. Easily spotted from the serrated disk on the wheels.
    It would definitely have prevented my crash.
    It’s good to be home and on the road to recovery.
    CN are pressing me to make a claim. They say even if it does get written off, they will give me 5 grand minus 600 excess. I can then buy it back if I wish.

#106 Old rider, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Do you think they will write it off. Time for you to do the math on that one and price up secondhand parts, (i did write time for you to do the meths which might help :))

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. It will almost certainly be written off. If you buy it back you will get £5K, less your excess and less the salvage value of the bike. But it will be logged as a cat N write off.
    If you want to keep the bike try to push for a cash settlement. They will offer about 1/2 the value of the bike, less the excess, you keep the bike and it isn't recorded as written off.

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Not necessarily. I did that with my Monster ten years ago and have just found out it’s been logged as Cat C.
    Because of a bent fork stantion, a dented tank, and a scratched Termi can!

10. It will probably depend on the insurance company.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Just spoken to a mate who has recently bought a Honda 125 scooter and he reckons that all new bikes over 125 now have to have abs fitted as standard and that it was optional on his 125.
    He opted for it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. ABS has been mandatory on new bikes over 125 for the last year or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Even 125's have it, another thing i didn't know think i need to read some bike mags.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bike mags are crap - talk to peeps like Derek on here:upyeah:
    My original comment regarding the Ducati system was based on the rush to provide ABS (after BMW and Honda's linked braking system) as the latest thing (before full electronic wizardry etc.) Do a bit of homework to make sure yo know what you are getting - when ABS first became mandatory in cars people then thought they were invincible expecting ABS to save them from going too fast round corners in the snow (extreme example) its an aid and not all aids are made equal, my belief is that the original Ducati supplied system accounted for more things than just pulsing the brakes at whatever frequency the standard car system allowed, so check mags with a pinch of salt and do some test rides in the wet and make an informed decision if yo go that way :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I certainly remember when the first cosworths had 4x4 and abs, the amount being returned to a friends bodywork shop after a crash, putting it in a ditch or rolled, was quite impressive.

16. 2WD RS500 was the only one worth having :upyeah::D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. It’s just the r/h mirror support casting that needs to be replaced.
    I need to work out what it’s likely to cost to get back on the road, so if anybody has any of these bits lying around surplus to requirements, that would be incredibly useful as Im sure replacing with new would be prohibitive.
    Does anybody have any idea what filling, spraying and clear coating with decals is likely to cost per panel??
    Got driven down the straight where I got spat off yesterday evening and the surface is far from smooth and grippy, so another reason for locking up.
    A mate came round and replaced the mangled crash bung with the untouched one on the other side and it fitted perfectly, so no bent frame :)
    I remain remarkably pain free.
    I took four paracetamols yesterday and that was mainly to keep the muscles relaxed.
    I haven’t touched the codeine they gave me.

• Like Like x 5
  18. You already know this but just in case - if you can get by without the codeine, do so.

Keep getting better OR and good luck on the parts hunt. Mirror struts are like damned unicorn horn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. What he said on codeine ^^^

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maybe I could araldite it then?

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information