1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old School 748 Revival....

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by nelly, Sep 10, 2019.

1. With time on our hands the chassis has had a good clean, in fact the whole bike has and the engine checked and serviced. No bad rockers, valve clearances tight and good. New belts etc. Ditched the under tank air filter and fitted Pipercross filters in the air tubes. Clutch is good, fresh coolant and brake fluids in the front. Rear master cylinder looks goosed, but that’s kinda exepected. New Bridgestone S21 tyres have gone on. No scary surprises have cropped up. New battery fitted and the engine cold primed to move the fresh oil around the engine, hit pressure quite quickly so she should fire when the tank is back on with some fresh fuel. On the whole, the bike has stored really well.

DC5D9B31-7AEA-4C1A-83D0-8A41A83F15B0.jpeg

8CF023DE-88A1-4EA3-B778-03F9B95D9858.jpeg

9550AC39-F6CB-48D1-BD56-19BBAD120A0C.jpeg

BA81CC6D-0CBE-424A-B5E1-8558BD8BA6AB.jpeg

CED86D77-3112-487F-BA21-6C5C90FC1090.jpeg

• Like Like x 18
  2. Looking good Neil, who’dve thought there was such a nice bike lurking under there!

• Like Like x 1
  3. @nelly, which under yoke stand are you using, please?

4. Not sure of the make, but it’s from Germany. I got It thru one of my suppliers. Think it was a couple of hundred quid. In truth, it’s much better to use and work with than the Ducati one I have and that was three times the cost.

5. Brilliant, thanks Neil. If you remember who supplied or made it, could you let me know please?
    Interesting that they’re better then the DP ones, mega money! :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Cheers Sev. That one does have the same mechanism as the DP one though. Need to get one sorted soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Take the shock out and service it while you have the time. At the least new oil will improve it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So got the tank on, fresh fuel and hit the button. Fired up within a couple of turns and idled pretty nicely.
    Got an odd noise on the starter which I suspect may be the sprag, but strangely no slipping and it wasn’t there doing the cold prime with no compression on the engine? Sounds sweet when running though.
    Going to take a look this week.
    Just got the rear plate hanger and indicators to get back on then get her tested.
    Looking forward to riding this one....

676C9483-2A4A-4844-8D63-85635049F1EC.jpeg

C949B4DD-DB5A-46A9-8A7E-2C6ABC56890C.jpeg

183326EA-FD8E-47D1-8C13-7A3DBD398E3D.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
  9. I really like that. What’s the plan with it? Keeper?

10. Cheers. For now I think it’ll stay and I’ll get some road use on it. I love the 853 motor, and I built this from scratch back in 2007, so I know it’s right. The white on black has really grown on me. Just needs a few decals to break it up a little. Once I’ve sussed the starter noise, it’ll be ready for some post lockdown therapy :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Love white ducati bet it’s a great bike looks brill ...I won’t try tempt you with my my latest z4 coupe :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Must resist..... must resist........

13. Ha ha it’s a lovely carbon black looks blue in the sun....it’s actually in a shop at moment as a slight diff noise possibly get it back next week can’t wait it’s bloody lovely it’s a sport too but no bloody use in a shop :joy:
    It’s filthy in the picture I know
    AE39887A-C48B-4EBC-8625-39ECFBC8774B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Think the whining noise is coming from the drivers seat area..

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. I’ll let you tell her that :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Seat unit looks ok to me on the duke what’s wrong with it?

17. That’s a tidy looking motor...... still resisting

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. No worries speak to you when it rains ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Well, it was kind of a sprag issue..... it wasn’t fastened to the crank, neither was the flywheel or alternator rotor. New nut, thread lock and it went back on. No damage, so fired up and idled even better!
    I wonder if I’ve found out why it got parked up 10 years or so ago and never moved again?
    Anyhow, jobs a fish, next job....MOT. Might just sneak a quick go on the trade plate though ;)

• Like Like x 7
Do Not Sell My Personal Information