1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Tyres?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by David Duke, Jun 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hi All,
    The ST2 I bought recently has been in storage for the best part of the last 10 years and did no miles. Although the (Michelin Pilot) tyres have plenty of rubber left, 'feel' fine and show no signs of having perished, the date code reads 3308, so they are 13 years old. I would change them in a heartbeat if costs didn't come into it, but am reluctant to if I can get some (safe) use out of them. I have a reasonably sedate riding style and will probably never use the bike in the rain. Thoughts?

Update
    Just discovered the tyre size recommended for the bike (TS2) is 170/55, but 180/60 is fitted (recommended for TS4). Was this merely a preference of the previous owner, or could this be a problem?

#1 David Duke, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  2. They need to be replaced. Tyres can go off in as little as five years. You may get away with it in the dry but in the rain grip will just disappear.

A good few years ago I'd stupidly left an old Dunlop front on my first Laverda triple. Fine in the dry but it had started to rain (and hadn't rained for a while). I had to brake (not excessively) for a last minute red light and the bike went down instantly. First ride out after completing lots of work. Not a good day!

There are plenty of good deals online.

There's a company in London called Two Tyres who are worth checking out. You can buy a decent matched pair for as little as £150-160.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I’d replace them personally

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I would imagine that the rubber compound has hardened up a fair degree , you might think you have saved a few quid ,until you hit the deck on a roundabout etc .

5. I did what you suggest and binned it in the dry. For the sake of 250 quid you could save yourself a lot of damage and peace of mind.

Bigger picture, I am surprised MOTs do not have a tyre age restriction.

6. Replace and you can get pretty decent tyres cheap ish these days that'll last you several thousand sedate miles.

7. My 750F1 came with tyres around 18 years old. I spun the back wheel on the damp tarmac, just pulling out of my drive to get it MOT'd. Changed them for new bridgestone battleaxe and it was a diferent bike.

8. If cost is an issue, tools are cheap and not hard to change your own. I buy decent part worn pairs. Less than 100.

9. My bike was left standing for about 4 years in a hot country with relatively new Michelin Pilots .
    I had left it chocked so that neither tyre had weight on it and I'd deflated them a bit .

First recent test ride was in warm and dry conditions , and all was groovy ,
    then I took it out after light rain , and went all the way round a wet roundabout ,
    and it was a sphincter testing moment ( as someone mentioned previously on here ) .... :)

Before I binned the tyres , I went out on a hot day and picked some back roads that I knew
    had been resurfaced with the dreaded " tar spray and chip " , and were also very bumpy .
    The tyres got a really savage scrubbing and a fair bit of deep-heat massage ,
    for 20 miles or so , then I repeated the roundabout test on a wet day , at the same place .

The difference was stunning , and it fully restored my confidence in the tyres .

Like many old codgers , I'm not exactly a knees and elbows down type of bloke ,
    but I do have my moments .... ;)

Disclaimer - please do not take this as any kind of advice .
    Future facts may prove me to be an idiot ....
    ..... or a corpse !

Just my 2 escudos worth , as always ..... :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Travellingman, useful info & link.

12. You're welcome David.

Hope you get something sorted that you're pleased with.

13. As I mentioned in another post, my Monster’s tyres were more than 15 years old when I got it so I had them changed. I was chatting to the guy at the dealers who changed them and ge told me that he’d heard that the MOT rules were being changed so that old tyres would soon be an advisory. Seems sensible to me.
    My new Pirellis feel so much better it has to be said.

14. Thanks for your comments. I've just returned from a 400 mile trip and saw all weathers over the three days including plenty of roads as you have described. In the main, the tyres appear to be OK, certainly no issues in dry weather although they do seem to have a particular like for following ruts or repairs in roads - don't know if a characteristic of the tyre or indicates a problem? The jury is still out.
    BR.

15. not replacing them is absolute madness and a total false economy. a quick ebay shows you can get brand new tyres that are older tech - Michelin pilot power, Bridgestone BT016, Pirelli angel ST etc for under £150 delivered. so even if you want ride-in ride-out service with fitting you're talking about £200. how much do you value your bike and personal safety?

my 1098 had almost 'new' diablo rosso's on it when I bought it, but they were 7yrs old... straight in the bin for a new set of diablo rosso II.

16. Couldn't have said it better myself.

17. Thanks for your comments. Must admit I thought a new set would cost much more - I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information