1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Tour With Engine Problem

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Oly, Apr 21, 2017.

1. I've not come across any production bike with a knock sensor and active knock control?.

Seems strange really considering the complexity of the new bike ecus.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I might be wrong, but I think that the latest K series BMWs are equipped with them. I also believe that the R1200GS might be too.

3. You're right!, the r1200GS has a pair (nestled behind the intake rubbers), S1000rr's have them and also Honda CBR1100xx's have one.

Probably a few more as well!.

4. I think you'll be lucky to find fuel with no ethanol at all...

5. Good point was meant to say less then the 5%.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think (at least here in Finland) the 95 E5 and 98 E10 state the max allowed ethanol content, but normally the ethanol content is less.

Also, just as a side note, I tested the Shell V-Power during a 300mile trip last summer instead of the normal 95. After running about 30-50 miles, during cruising speed the bike started running on one and then stalling. After a cool down period, worked again for 20 miles and then stalled again. I managed to get home by having cool down periods during the way back. After changing back 95 never had the issue reoccur. It was a hot day, and somehow I think the spark plugs fouled with the V-Power. But that's just personal experience with this one bike.

7. That's very strange.
    Maybe the fuel was contaminated.

8. Sorry, forgot to mention this was an old bike, the ST2, so it might just be too old for the sh€% I put it through :D But my point was about the fuel. But you're right, might be the fuel also. As I'm not keen on testing the topic, I'm just running on 95.

9. SteveR swears by Vmax and his bike is probably older than yours.
    His motor is set up for it though.

10. Maybe the premium fuel softened up some old gunk and that partially clogged up the filters?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information