1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Open Clutch

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Wasted Time Lord, Sep 14, 2021.

1. I wouldn't do it on looks alone, but it's the look above all, I'm (probably) going to do it for. As for the noise, I suppose I am hoping to pre-empt what you said in your other response: people asking "is that normal?" Because at heart I'm an OCD Control Freak who always tries to fix things that might never happen!

And, though I bought the billet cover before I even knew of this forum, since joining I've mostly been sat here watching this year's sunshine run out while waiting for spare parts to arrive (which, thanks to the people here, I have a much better idea of what I actually need - and particularly, where to get them!)

2. Okay, one final question, possibly rhetorical: why does the clutch rattle when engaged, when the plates are locked together, but stop the moment it's disengaged, when the plates are loose, the total opposite of every multiplate clutch I've used before?

3. Rattles with bike in neutral clutch lever out.Stops when clutch lever in because the push rod dampens the plates. Clutch is only engaged as you feed it in whilst in gear and moving. Every dry clutch bike I’ve had works like that although BMW are single plate in the same layout as cars and do not generally rattle. I think you are confusing engaged and not engaged? Need my afternoon nap now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Other than the BMWs (that is, prior to the triple I had a Boxer - and they were dealer serviced anyway) I never had a dry clutch bike.
    I suspect we are at cross purposes, but which constitutes 'engaged' seems an almost existential question! I would say it's engaged with the lever out, i.e. slight play in the pushrod, with the springs forcing the pressure plate against the plain and friction plates, allowing the power to be transmitted via said friction, from the sprocket on the basket, to the gearbox mainshaft keyed to the clutch spider. But so long as we're talking about the same thing, I'm not that particular about what we call it.
    But pulling the lever to the bar forces the pushrod against the pressure plate freeing the plain and friction plates (to rattle - to greater or lesser extent) - with clutch drag being either a consequence of oil on the plates (in a wet clutch) or, in any multiplate clutch, of hammering as the tabs wear, forming indentations in the centre.
    As an aside - I'm sure we all know about the strength required to actuate the (pre-hydraulic) Jota clutch! I also had a CB550 and a GTR at the time, and when I got off the Jota and onto one of the Jap bikes, I could operate theirs with just my pinky!
    But I digress. Christ it had a lot of springs! Ten, as I recall. Anyway, a week after I bought it, gear changing became difficult, while on a blast down the A30. So when I got back (I once had the cable snap in Hammersmith, but managed the 50 miles home okay) I took the chaincase off, to find the clutch in the process of disintegrating!
    So I took the engine out and completely rebuilt it (the pics of it on here are from before this - I wouldn't want anyone to think I left those rear flashers where the missing grab rail should have been! It went back together without flashers, like a race bike should).
    It also had cracking cam pillars - that should have been replaced a decade earlier!
    The Suzuki switchgear was great, but the Honda clocks not so much: I only knew it really did 140+ was when the guy on the FZR expressed wonder that I'd kept up with him! Above 120 the clocks were a blur. Also above 120 you'd get a speed weave on closing the throttle!

Where was I?
    Oh yes. My AJS - with the much vaunted Burman gearbox - had a clutch pushrod that rattled!

5. Great. Never use one word when a thousand will do! I still love the sound of a dry clutch. Thank you for explaining how they work. I am a wiser man for it.
    I did know really, honest I did. A big boy taught me round the back of the bike sheds. He said clutch this and grip them. Life’s lessons eh!

6. Off for a shave now. Grew a beard catching up on this thread!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. yep too much over thinking, if you don't like the noise keep your little pinkie on the clutch leaver a tadge

8. It will be noisy whatever you do.

Try running a vented right engine casing with a open clutch! Get used to the attention and tell whoever it runs on diesel :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information