1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operation Cooler Cooling Cooler. :)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by 470four, Jul 15, 2012.

1. (considers cutting the crotch out of his leathers to stop getting betty swollocks....) :smile:

2. I've been following this thread with interest. In respect to the unions did you have to get any special adaptors or did you just buy the ducati items for the engine side upgrade? - lovely clean conversion though :)

3. Hi Sev,

I bought the cooler & hoses, then got the 848/1098/1198 unions off a forum member on here? They screw straight into the SS cases... :smile:

New listing for the brackets kit:

Ducati 900SS 900 SS carby 848 1098 1198 oil cooler upgrade brackets & bolts | eBay

Bike is running some very good temps at the mo, even in this heat? Very happy with it all! :cool:

4. The adaptors are £6 ish each from a Ducati dealer - I needed to get them so that I could use Hyper lines for my SS setup.

[​IMG]
    Oil Cooler Lines 001 by Lindsay fae Angus, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  5. Unions/adaptors are: 815.1.022.1A :smile:

6. - just recieved a "Thankyou, all good!" email from Steve in Canada, who I sent a kit to early August?

Sent a few pics of his bike with his new cooler & pipes etc - can anybody tell me what exhaust that is please??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite like it! Cooler looks good too. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is what Baines racing did many moons ago , 2 setrab oil coolers mounted left and right, I've just bought this 900SL and this was fitted , its a nice job.

View attachment 5570

8. That's very neat. I was looking at mounting a small additional cooler underneath the headlight area of the fairing on mine. I reckon one from an early Multistrada would do the job. Anyone on here have a spare one that I could offer up to see how well it fits? If it looks ok I'd be happy to buy it. Alternatively I could go the 750 Paso twin cooler route if anyone's got a couple of them available?

Cheers,

WW

9. You'll probably find that an under headlight cooler would probably be all you need as you'll get proper airflow through it :)
    If sim900sl ducted to his coolers with decent shrouds I think he'd be surprised at how cool his bike runs!

What temps are you seeing out of interest?

10. +1... the Baines coolers are at a very sharp angle? They would get some degree of airflow but it would largely go around the coolers instead of through them?

11. the thing is that the coolers are just radiating as the whole area inside the fairing and behind the front wheel is stagnant as far as airflow is concerned, Irrespective of angle. Now, if he ducted air from those little intakes on the fairing and ran a pipe to the cooler it would run air through the cooler provided he shrouded it enough on the inlet face.

12. Not sure as I haven't got an oil temperature gauge fitted currently but my bike definitely runs hot. I'm running a HC 944 conversion with FCR41's so a priority for me is getting my temp. and px. gauges fitted and making some changes to the cooling system to dissipate some of that excess heat. Do you know what the ideal temperature range should be for these engines?

WW

13. I did ask the question in another thread on here but didn't get an answer. I know that for oil/aircooled cars it can get as high as 130-140, and oil/air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled engines as a rule. It would be interesting to know what your PX gauges read when you fit them.

I know that from speaking to Baines about the 944 kit that heat management is a big issue. That said I've been looking at them myself. What kit do you have, are the pistons just drop in?

14. All I've done is mount 2 standard coolers off the rocker cover mounts (my standard exhaust cover plus a monster inlet cover), running my oil-out line to top cooler off-side, the return line to lower cooler off-side and the two nearside unions joined together with a cheap custom hose.

However I have no idea what temperature the oil reaches as it's a '92 bike with just the two clocks. Plus it's been years since I fitted the extra cooler so I can't remember if it goes any better at day's end than it did originally.

Also I run it on 20/50, which may help the temperature/performane thing. Still uses lots of oil, mind you .... drops 3-4mm down the site glass after a typical 200 mile run through mid-Wales. I wonder if this might have to do wth fitting black guide seals on both inlet & exhaust? Bainsey reckons they always do but there must be a reason for the factory differentiating between valves, surely?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information