1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

950 Opinions On The 950 (from Owners)

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by philg25, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Looking to change my bike next year and starting to look at the options, with a possible return to the ducati brand. One of those is the 950. Currently got a KTM 1050 Adventure which I've had since new and covered 14000 miles on. Been a great bike and has taken me all over Europe and Uk with minimal fuss. Doesn't seem to be much chat on here about the 950. I'm aware the new model is out but can't justify £14500(including luggage) for one (can get a brand new 1290 KTM Adventure for a couple of grand less) so going for a discounted old model 950 would be my plan. The pro's and cons of 950 ownership from those in the know would be appreciated. It's between this and the 1290 due to cost(all my farkles can be transferred across to KTM, luggage, seat, screen exhaust etc.) Main use would be weekend trips with one or two euro trips per year. Thanks in advance Phil

2. I have the 1200s but have heard good reports on the 950. Does seem chalk & cheese though a 950 to a 1290. Huge power difference. Does weight come into it. Insurance , maintenance etc.

3. There is a 3 bike comparison article in I think the new Ride but might be one of the other ones. Faired well against the Yamaha MT09 with equal rating. The older Multistrada 950 is virtually the same kerb weight as the 1200/1260 and seriously down on power in comparison. A nice ride but no idea why it sits in the Ducati range. Andy

4. The main consideration is price. Can't justify spending £15000 on a bike. If I had a decent KTM dealer near me or in Scotland for that matter it would be a 1290 hands down but we're stuck with Drysdales in Perth who are dreadful.

5. I've had the 950 as a loan bike a couple of times and I liked it. I thought it was a very capable bike, Plenty of 'real world' power, handling was fine, larger front wheel made it better at low speeds. BUT I'd miss the 'toys' on my DVT

6. The newly announced 950S has most (if not all) the toys of a 1260S:
    • Ducati Skyhook Suspension (DSS) Evo system
    • Ducati Traction Control (DTC)
    • Cornering ABS
    • Ducati Quick Shift up & down (DQS)
    • full-LED headlight with Ducati Cornering Lights (DCL)
    • 5" colour TFT display
    • Hands Free system
    • Cruise Control and backlit handlebar controls
    • Option for spoked wheels
    I'm not sure how the prices compare.

7. The only toy it misses is 50 HP as far as I could tell...

Also does not have the same seat adjustability and so does not go quite as low as the 1260S...

Has traditional swing arm - not single sided

But its about £3,800 cheaper... approx.. at £13,355 (El Tel's number from previous post)

8. I have a 950, great bit of kit, for all those banging on about it being underpowered, not sure what its underpowered for as its more than nippy and nimble enough.

Mine gets used almost daily for an 85 mile round trip commute into London from Reading, power has never been an issue, also gets used weekends 2 up with the wife on the back and again has more than enough 'go'.

Spends 90% of its time in 'Touring' and does everything I need with decent protection and at a decent price point, its in the range because not everyone has a tiny penis to compensate for.

Any specific questions let me know.

Dibs

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I had a 2015 1200 three year ago and sold it for one reason or another. Just about to put down my deposit on the new 950S in Grey. Glad to be back on an MS after a few dark years.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sounds like dibs has a huge Willy. Glad I only bought the 1200 & not a 1900cc Harley. Phew. Little minds eh.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. @ John - Have you collected your 950s yet? Any feedback?

12. I have arranged to take a test ride on a 950 multi next week (11th). Doubt if I'll prefer it over a 1200, but you never know unless you try it ...

13. I had a loaner for a day and thought it was great. Very easy to chuck about. Not as refined as the 1200, but for what you do I reckon it'd be spot on. Just seemed like a proper bike. I'd have one.

14. I owned a 1200, did a test ride on a 950 and a new Supersport back to back. I bought the Supersport. 'Nuff said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The KTM 1290 is a much more sophisticated model than your 1050. very powerful with all the toys. And you can buy last years colours for 11.5k .its comparable to a 1260s but 6k cheaper. I'd have that over a 950 .

16. mcn did a back to back test and said unless you want the bling and electronics then the performance was comparable upto 120mph then the 1260 pulled away

17. The biggest question over the 950 is that time we all get to, at some point you will sell it. What do you think is mostly like for a dealer or private buyer to say? I wish you were selling a 1200 instead of your 950 or, I'm so glad your selling a 950 instead of a 1200.

Whilst this will be one consideration on your purchase, I'd try the 950 and 1200 and see what actually suits you best. It does raise one question though, if your KTM does everything you want it to do and has done it well, why the need to change?

18. I rode the 950S and 1260S back to back. Going in to these rides, in my mind, I was more or less set on getting a 950S. I ended up ordering the 1260S. Reasons being:
    • When I got on the 950S and set off, it didn't feel special. There's a few reasons for this, some probably having to do with looks. It was a grey one and I don't like that color scheme, at all. But the biggest reason was that the engine felt strangely ordinary, while riding at that initial slow pace. I then later put the bike through its paces, and overall, it felt like a sport-oriented engine converted for touring. By that I mean that while it definitely has good enough torque (but not more than that), it needs (full throttle) revs before you really get that feeling of 'poooooower!'. At which point it is very fast indeed. That's nice, but I already have another bike with that kind of character.
    • Conversely, the 1260S felt special from the first meters. The engine sounds a lot better, giving a very distinct low-revs twin 'beat' that the 950S seems to have muffled away. And then there's the torque. It is everywhere, all the time. It just made me smile, or rather grin. It also reminded me a lot of the new BMW 1250 which I took for a spin a few months ago (that engine also has monster torque), but with tons more character and a better soundtrack.
    • So while rationally, yes, the 950S is of course 'enough', emotionally, when you're actually driving them back to back, there is no comparison. I imagine it's like buying a 959 vs a V4S, or perhaps more accurately, an 899 vs 1299. One is the real deal, the other a very good but toned-down copy.
    • Beyond that, the esthetics of the 950S didn't really do it for me. At first sight, they look similar. But then you look closer and notice how the 1260S red lacquer continues under the seat (so much nicer), how its 17" front looks sportier, and how much better the exhaust looks. I'd also want the 950S in red, and I just don't think the red frame works that well on a red bike.
    Don't get me wrong, the 950S is a great bike. After I was driving it for a while, I did really warm to it, thinking it was an overall great package. I'd have it over something like an F850GS, KTM 1090 (or even 790) or Africa Twin in a heartbeat, and if that had been my only test ride, I would have ordered it. I also have a slight regret in knowing that the 1260S will never be meant for (even light) offroad use, which kind of limits its appeal for taking it on a 'grand tour' (but then again I don't have time for that stuff anyway). But in the end, the 1260S felt special - the 950S didn't.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information