1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions On The Best Mag Wheels Marchesini Or Dymags ?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by portboy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Form a queue!

2. Couldn't tell from the expression on her face.

3. grow up you dirty old man...........

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. from what I understand much of the queue has already been through ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sorry portboy, the reason is I’ve had 2 crashes due to magnesium wheels developing cracks! The last time was at silverstone, I checked pressures before I went out as normal, all good! Got as far as hanger straight well the end of hanger straight and down I went!! A crack had developed in one of the spokes and it was virtually flat!! After a lot of research I discovered that they only have a certain life and they really need to be crack tested periodically and nobody would weld the crack so I’ve got some nice decorations in my garage!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Mainly use the Lightweight Alloy Marchesini's but have a pair of Alloy OZ's which are really good too. IF you check out JFB Insta page and use the discount code I think its 15% off Dymags atm.

On the 1199SL the Mag Marchesini's are about a kilo or so lighter than the OZ Piega's (6 spoke), hardly worth the Mag weight with the minimum difference tbh.

7. Is carbon not an option?

8. The piega is a 5 spoke wheel, the 'GASS' 6 spokes are another 20% lighter on top, still forged, but about as light as you can get this side of Carbon I think and about £350 more than the piega for a pair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Having run BST carbon wheels on two bikes now I can definitely say they are worth the extra money. Purely for there performance gains! I’ve also run PVM wheels back in the day plus Marchesinis, Dymags UP7X on my last but one bike were super light but had issues after a year with wheel bearing spinning in the hub! Oz Gass wheels on my 959 were again super light and visually pleasing and superb quality hence running them on the V4 now. So pretty much tried them all. Honest opinion if you can afford to go carbon and your not looking for a big visual impact 100%. all the way..

Oz for me! Purely for a design point, 3D forged, lighter than the original OE Marchesini wheels, Spoke design and finish. Plus it definitely helps when you have a trade account with the suppliers :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. E019020F-47F5-4D36-A51B-52575938067A.jpeg 48E4C7FC-D8D5-447A-8C7F-6275864D6F5B.jpeg 2C857414-21D2-4FF5-9148-0598F8FA9607.jpeg 28C2698F-9098-435D-841A-A05AFDACFFC8.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. This is a great thread!

I have been toying with the idea of getting some second hand magnesium wheels for my 998S. Chances are, they are likely to be more than 10 years old, with little provenance. Reading this thread has made me very wary!

The Ducati blurb on the 996 / 998 models talked about the original fit "lightweight Marchesini" wheels. They don't seem very light to me - but are they a step forward versus wheels of that era, and would forged aluminium wheels from Oz, Marchesini etc. be significantly lighter? (I like carbon wheels, but want to keep the period looks to some extent). Also, reluctant to drop >£1600 on wheels unless I would really notice it.
    I have heard that 848 wheels might be worth considering, but I guess the speedo drive is a problem to overcome?

Any tips / advice?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. the 848 wheels aren’t super heavy IMO, the rear especially is quite light. I remember looking into wheels when I had my 848 and I needed to go OZ Gas or Carbon before the difference was huge, that said, remember that it’s also about where the weight is placed in the wheel, further from the axle causes more issues, hence why the Gass wheels have further machining to make the rim even lighter

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. My rear Oz turned up today:blush:
    FCBA0A2A-0F98-46ED-A50F-B555193E90BF.jpeg 4970A453-38F4-44C1-B25D-A8C0D961231F.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  14. How was the problem resolved with the UP7X bearing spinning in the hub?...Was it front, rear or both?...

15. I guess there’s always a trade off between durability and lightness?

A heavy stock wheel designed for a lifetime of road use is going to be far tougher than a Magnesium or Carbon race wheel - although why they decided to fill the stock 959 rear wheel with lead I don’t know!

I have done a deal with @Dave dunlop for his 959 GASS wheel - just have to wait for the front to arrive from Italy :sob:

A good part of the decision to go with the GASS wheels is that they are the lightest OZ road wheel. Although they will be track only for me I figure they might be a little more robust than the very lightest Ally, Mag or Carbon.

If money is no object and ultimate lightness is the aim then carbon seems to be the obvious route - but there seems to be enough stories of cracked wheels to make me wary, as I don’t have bottomless pockets.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've just put bst wheels on my r1 and it's totally transformed it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yeah as far as I know the guy got it sorted after we found the issue. It was only on the front and just one side! But obviously a machining tolerance problem that was picked up in quality control. Never had one like that again so perhaps just a one off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Will be worth the wait Steve :grinning:

But for now your have to make do with another picture....

7948192C-7165-4DBA-9FE4-80E2AD9F086C.jpeg FFECFEA4-318D-40FB-8317-C32B9FA54A8B.jpeg 94884B93-C4FA-4D39-8543-6BAD985A99F7.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information