1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our First Motorhome Trip

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zhed46, Sep 8, 2020.

1. That's really useful info - thanks. Maybe a change of plan is needed. I absolutely hate the sort of damp drizzly cold weather we experience in the UK during that time of year, but I don't mind that cold dry weather you get in the mountains. I ski and to a lesser and more dangerous extent, snowboard, so we might head to the Alps instead :thinkingface:

2. Head towards Antibes or Nice and you can get up to the mountains in a couple of hours too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I did have a hankering for this type of thing. Me and the Mrs recently had a road trip to see some friends south of Belfast (in my car). Before we took the ferry we had a day or two in Stranraer and took a trip to Firth of Galloway, the southern most point of Scotland. The weather was amazing and we had a great day. But...... There was a lot of single track road action and those cumbersome fucking mobile home things were all over the shop. By the end of the day I was dreaming of a James Bond style pop up missile system on the front of my car to blow them out my way.... :mad::imp:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Done a couple of motorhome trips, don't go to France in summer without air con (or a scooter for shopping trips as they don't like motor homes in French supermarket car parks).
    Would like to get one but be too expensive at required spec. :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I bought my T6 with a view to getting it converted but like most things I dream of it’s been scuppered due to a lack of funds. Maybe one day....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it :upyeah:

8. You can have it all...

9. Hah! Lockdown was a lot of dough and and a lot of smoked meat and you can't really have much of either without a few cold ones.. no wonder my leathers had shrunk!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Just overtake em, ya big Jessie ;)

I’m proud to say I performed the world’s longest and slowest overtake on a national speed limit road in the motorhome when I got stuck behind a car doing 35. Unfortunately the V Max of my 3.5 ton diesel bus is about 75, and it takes a long while to get there, so I picked a long straight downhill stretch, and pulled out, followed by an extremely awkward 10 seconds as I inched past the terrified looking lady driver with her nose about an inch from the steering wheel, while we both wondered if the oncoming traffic would hit me and take us both with it before I was able to tuck in in front of her :astonished::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Lol! You might want to reconsider the towing plan, the poor transit might protest! We went for the 3lt fiat four pot TD, over 400ft/lb of grunt.

If you have a shuffty at the pictures I posted you can see the trailer I bought, I wasn't messing about. However, weather aside I was never truly comfortable with my nice KTM and her nicer Triumph bouncing around in the back unseen.

Every time I stopped and checked the load something usually needed cinched up even though I had put chocks and extra tie downs in.

Not only that I started to notice little "transport marks" on the bikes; my thoughts were that they would do nothing but accumulate over time.

Couple that with the hammering the fuel economy took and the few times we would actually have the time to tow, then use the bikes, the cost/benefit analysis didn't fall in its favour.

Sold it on Gumtree within a week to a guy taking bikes to Croatia to start a touring business. I made a decent profit on it after all the mods and he got a good deal.

Finally, the money went into my new 848, so every ones a winner Baby!

• Like Like x 2
  12. You're not familiar with the A14 :D

13. He tows pretty well tbh.

This was our first outing in it. Son No1 and I stayed overnight at Brands, but not before (a) I ran out of diesel on a motorway flyover and had to be towed by a HATO to the services, and (b) when we eventually got there hours later than intended we found that MSV hadn’t updated their website in months (which said you can camp overnight at the circuit) only to be informed by a nice lady at the hotel that you can’t do that anymore. So we ended up roughing it with the lorry drivers in a lay by :triumph:

The TD was also eventful because for some reason they’d put me in Novices by mistake and I wasn’t too happy about it so was overtaking quite a lot of peeps and got black flagged. I was working myself up to have an indignant self-righteous rant about how it was their fault for putting me in the wrong group, but in fact it was because my bloody headlight had fallen off :laughing: (they did move me to Inters though regardless).

2FA5ABFA-86B1-4100-81C1-E6463138E995.jpeg B72B4DFB-F930-4916-A262-A2CB9B5C318E.jpeg 4B746F6F-1ED8-4596-B08B-3853DFB3A4CA.jpeg
    7DF6D05C-5747-4766-89E3-8F949CC5B2F1.jpeg

#53 Zhed46, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  14. Ah yes, a Motolug collapsible; how are you finding it, nearly went there myself? That will help, IIRC the unladen weight is that of a anorexic butterfly! I did try to buy a doubler 2nd hand but couldn't find one, rare as hens teeth and they are over a grand new.

So I bought a nice single axle for a grand off a guy from the Motorhomefun website, heavy duty, modified it with ramp and chocks and reinforced the floor, however it was about 180kg dry which is another reason I decided to deep six it all, it was all getting a bit too close to the unbraked limit of 750kg, my Wife's 1200 speedmaster is nearly 300kg!

I liked the post about your Boy by the way with his new 125; big HUSSAR! I cannae wait till the wee man is old enough to ride properly, only five years to go. My daughter as well, she is a dyed in the wool biker chick in the making, she constantly pesters me to take her out on the back of the triumph, has a Pirelli hat permanently welded on her head that she caught off the podium at Knockhill last year and wears her Kawasaki fleece till it walks itself to the laundry! All that whilst listening to ROCK on her alexa and headbanging; she's just turned nine, I think I will have my work cut out in a few years!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information