1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out With Old Tiger In With The New Mutley

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by grahamg, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Well I thought it was about time that I introduced myself. I have been lurking here for a couple of months now, soaking up all the great info here prior to my recent purchase of a Multistrada 1260 S.

Anyway this is my first Ducati and I have come from a 30,000 mile 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050. The Tiger has been toured on for the last two years, and a good proportion of that mileage was put on in that time. So with more time available to me, and having been bitten by the touring bug a more modern bike was required, and the Multi fits the bill perfectly. I am hoping to do a couple of European tours this year along with a number of trips in the UK.

Despite the dreadful weather recently, I’m a knats cock away from 1500 miles, with the first 600 miles having been dispatched within the first week. I have been very impressed with the bike so far, and can’t wait for some dryer roads.

Couple of pictures for you here of the old and new, along with some bins for Davebird.

The old...
    triumph-tiger-1050.jpg

...and the New :p
    multistrada.jpg

Cheers

Graham

• Like Like x 13
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Welcome to the forum

3. Welcome and enjoy!

4. Welcome Graham :upyeah:

5. Welcome Graham. Two very clean bikes. It’d be interesting to know how the two compare, just out of curiosity.

6. welcome along, I too have just joined the MS fold.

7. Welcome Dave

8. Hi & welcome.
    DB will be impressed. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hi and welcome.

10. Welcome Mr G :):upyeah:

11. Good morning G and welcome aboard,plenty of globetrotters on here that can advise.:upyeah:

12. Welcome to the Ducati forum great 1st post you have been doing your homework DB will be pleased
    Hope you enjoy your multistrada as much as I do mine

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Welcome Graham, enjoy your new bike and your continental tours :upyeah:

14. welcome graham'

15. Welcome mate ,good to have you here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Welcome along G

17. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.

Thanks Dave :D

Thanks @Expat Jack and @Clarkey63, got to keep the management happy :p

Hi @Kirky I have seen the the thread on next years tour, and unfortunately the dates clash with a tour I am currently planning. However, I will keep an eye on future events.

G

• Like Like x 2
  18. That's a well looked after tiger. Looks. Mint

19. Well the Tiger 1050 is a great all round bike, and a very good sports tourer. The 1050 triple engine is brilliant; unburstable, with loads of torque, and grunt to match. You can pretty much block shift up through the gears and cruise around in 6th all day, but that wouldn't be very exciting of course. I'm no biking god, but the Tiger handles very well too, taking everything in its stride: long sweeping bends, country twisties and alpine passes. Follow that with 3 hours of 90+ mph Autobahn, no problem. Build quality for the 1050 and the later Sport is also pretty good. Downsides: the Tiger is tall, and carries its weight quite high. It feels heavy to move around, and can be difficult to handle if you are short of stature. Fortunately I'm not. From an electronics point of view the 1050, being 10 years old, is very basic with no bells and whistles at all. The later Tiger Sport is better, but still does not come close to the Multi IMO; I think Triumph have neglected this space somewhat.

So to the Multistrada 1260. Two things struck me about this bike when I first test rode it: the engine, which is unbelievable, and the way that the bike felt really planted, and easy to ride. I know this maybe sound like a bit of cliché, but I felt that I was sitting in the bike rather than perched on top it, which was the case with the Tiger. Don't really know how else to explain it. Anyway, after test riding the 1260, and the 950 Mutley, and doing loads of research I knew I needed one in my life :heart_eyes:

I have only been riding the Mutley for a short time, in pretty dreadful weather, and on less than perfect roads, but I have enjoyed every minute. That may be partly 'new bike' euphoria, but I have a feeling it is only going to get better. This is my first twin of any kind, let alone a big twin, so I am still getting my head around the power available, the massive amount of engine braking and the different riding style that demands. For example, I feel I am hardly using the brakes at all (I know - I'm not going fast enough), and the engine develops so much power that 6th gear is visited less often than I am used to. But, to be fair, I am still running the bike in, and did I say the weather has been really shite recently :)

Anyway, tomorrow I'm off on a ride out with the local Triumph Owners Club, of which I am a member :confused:, and its been dry for the last two days :grinning:

@Sam1199 I hope that goes some way to answer your question.

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information