1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting And Decorating Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by portboy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Shame, but I guess it's part of the pension pot you control....[/QUOTE]

True true Dinger, may not come to that hopefully.

2. True true Dinger, may not come to that hopefully.[/QUOTE]
    Fingers crossed for ya bud :upyeah:

3. When I had mine done, I begrudged paying for it because it was something I would have done in previous years, myself.

After he had finished, the quality of the job, the small timeline in which he had done it in and so reducing stress levels, made me feel it was one of those things worth paying for

4. Same here fella, lets hope the end result matches yours.

5. sorry to piggyback on here but are there any decorators local to Swindon that would be willing to come look at a job in a few months, I hate doing this stuff but have a circa 2007 house that needs the hallway wallpaper stripping and some other bits done, so would probably be a round 4-5 days work there for someone.

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  6. Be careful if you are quoted undercoat and gloss in one day. That will be water based which is very soft and takes a long time to harden. Even after 6 months it still chips easily. I had to repaint the sides of the stairs when the carpet was put down a week later as it flaked off when touched.
    When I had my bedrooms done by another decorator I specified solvent based paint. Even using solvent based you cannot leave ornaments in the window sills as it goes yellow underneath as no lead now.

7. I'm having a Satin finish on my woodwork, my man said brilliant white yellows after a while.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes I've seen a lot of crap jobs with water based,
    I always use oil based for internal as with water based you see to many brush marks and what you see is what you get, oil will level/settle, but water based paints have got better over the last few years and one day it will be all you can get to work with.

#29 Roadtrip, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information