1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Palmer Products - Screen Kit

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Kernow1, Jun 2, 2016.

1. I just used a standard bolt on puig blade in the standard screen , worked a treat
    Also just fitted a small LEIG screen which is better than standard for me

2. Hi
    Bit of nudge.

Like you I am 6'2" and the standard screen is doing my head in. Can't see a post of how you did get on with the Palmer spacer/ screen.

I don't know if the Wunderlich VarioERGO extender will work for me as I note Twin4Me is 5'9".

Anyone else had good results with the Palmer spacer and the standard screen?

3. I've used the Palmer
    products spacer on my 2011 and now on my 2015 (different spacers obviously) In both cases with an MRA screen and found them to be really good at getting rid of the buffeting, even with the screen in it's lowest position. Can't comment on how it works with the standard screen though. I did find that when it's really hot, lifting the screen up helped to feed air under the screen to give some air flow which seemed a bit bizarre, but worked really well. The accessory bar is the best thing I've found for sat nav mounting too, everything else I've tried wobbles about.

I'm 6ft and use the high seat setting by the way.

Chris

4. Thanks Chris.

That's useful. On the basis of starting with the cheapest intervention I would have liked to try the Aztec spacers first. Sounds like the next logical move is to try the Palmer spacer and if I need to, add a different screen.
    Which MRA screen did you use BTW?

Cheers.

5. Hi Justin

Aztec spacers don't fit assuming you're talking about a DVT, I tried them first, still got them somewhere!
    The Palmer spacer is probably worth a try with the standard screen if you want to keep the price down, but I'd add the accessory bar because it stiffens the whole structure up. I have the small MRA screen the same as the pics. above.

Chris

6. Different bike, but I’ve the Palmer on the KTM. Best screen out of all I’ve tried. The only one to reduce both buffeting AND noise.

I’ve also got the accessory bar which is rock solid. I’ve also fit my own bracket to one of the screen mounting points, so I can mount my action cam in front of the speedo :innocent:

7. I wish you lot would stop pissing around and just buy the big givi touring screen, it’s perfect!
    I’m 6ft 2 with the seat risers in, apparently it’s better without them fitted.
    It’s big but it suits the bike, and on the lowest setting it doesn’t weave, there’s no wind or vibrations even well into 3 figures... allegedly
    My mate borrowed my bike to see if it works, when we stopped at the cafe for a brew he ordered one for himself there and then.I

High position
    68DC7EC5-F6AB-452C-B8F2-22460B2F5EFA.jpeg

Low position
    83F5D199-2231-4D36-AFFF-419DD661F797.jpeg

8. I still rate the Wunderlich as the adjustment means you can dial out 90% of the buffeting...
    I use the standard screen with this on the DVT now

9. Thanks for all the responses. It's a case of choices, choices, choices!!

I may just give the Palmer fitting a go first and if that doesn't do it, try the Givi screen.

I'll let you know how I get on!

10. As promised I'm giving an update on how I've got on.

Palmer kit arrived and fitted easily enough though all male owners be aware - it pays to read the instructions! How difficult can it be I thought? Take the screen off, fit the Palmer kit and reattach the screen. Simples! Well yes, but I think actually it's easier to fit the screen to the Palmer kit and then reattach the screen/Palmer unit back to the bike.

Anyway, got it al on but not been out due to recent snow and ice. Took it out today for a bit of a spin today. Bear in mind I'm 6' 2"

On lowest screen setting with shallowest adjustment on Palmer it was comparable to standard screen on highest setting. Lots of turbulence and rumbling around the top of the head. Closing the top vents on the helmet improved things somewhat but then I wouldn't want to be forced to ride around in high summer or the continent with vents closed.

MUCH better on the fully raised setting but still a bit of noise when getting up to, errr how shall we put it, higher speeds. This was completely gone on middle setting of Palmer device and enabled me to open the vents.

I don't know if the Palmer device affects the air flow round the side or whether the absence of the deafening noise round my temples allowed me to think about other things. I did notice that there seemed to be more exposure to air on my chest.

To be fair I think I need to give this a try for a few weeks. But I am starting to think that Cog Head's advice about the Givi screen would be worth thinking about, especially if combined with the Palmer kit....

I think I suffer from Tweakers' Syndrome! (there may be a better name for it though).

11. F8C325BF-F2DF-400F-858D-0CC0E422DF4D.jpeg

That aside, sounds like the Palmer is doing well on the medium setting. That’s where mine is on the KTM. I certainly don’t feel the need to make any further changes to the screen.

12. LMFAO!

Errr! Well, perhaps that's not me then. :joy::joy::joy:

13. I made the mistake of ordering a pikes peak screen on the advice of my friendly Ducati dealer, they're all the same he said, not so.
    The standard multistrada is bigger all round, three fixings are the only similarity but that's all.
    I'm now stuck with the screen I bought in advance of the bike.
    I have a 999 that's so easy to ride, now owning the multistrada with all it's wind fluttering it made me think about the airflow on the 999
    The screen is really low and sends the wind around my body, leaving my head to just cope with the wind as it comes, whereas the multistrada screen is directing all the wind and sending it straight at my head.
    I'm going to try it without any screen then decide how big a screen it really needs, my best guess is go for the smallest out there.
    I can ride my 999 at motorway speeds with my visor up, I know all this stuff is dependent on height etc. but I really hadn't considered screens in the last 20 years of riding Ducatis.
    Any feedback would be good.

14. I made the mistake of ordering a pikes peak screen on the advice of my friendly Ducati dealer, they're all the same he said, not so.
    The standard multistrada is bigger all round, three fixings are the only similarity but that's all.
    I'm now stuck with the screen I bought in advance of the bike.
    I have a 999 that's so easy to ride, now owning the multistrada with all it's wind fluttering it made me think about the airflow on the 999
    The screen is really low and sends the wind around my body, leaving my head to just cope with the wind as it comes, whereas the multistrada screen is directing all the wind and sending it straight at my head.
    I'm going to try it without any screen then decide how big a screen it really needs, my best guess is go for the smallest out there.
    I can ride my 999 at motorway speeds with my visor up, I know all this stuff is dependent on height etc. but I really hadn't considered screens in the last 20 years of riding Ducatis.
    Any feedback would be good.

15. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23268759...9&clk_rvr_id=1463904826668&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

I use a Palmer Products screen adaptor kit with a Pikes Peak screen. Works really well. Im 6'4" and don't bother with the standard screen at all even when touring.
    Its now up for sale (£50 Delivered) amongst loads of Pikes Peak carbon and other extras. Advertised on "For sale and Wanted" before all going on eBay if bike doesn't sell by 31st March.

16. Thanks for our help, will that allow me to use the pp screen on the 1200s

17. Yes thats what I use on mine currently

18. Hi all I have just bought a new 1200 dvt having previously done 54000 miles on my 2012 multi .the wind buffeting is bad so purchased palmer adapter and screen .fitted it and used with standard ducati screen ,to my dismay it was far worse than standard then fitted palmer screen no difference really at witts end now .on my original 2012 multi I fitted those winglets from Australia, they made all the difference really quiet .I'm thinking it's a width problem not a hight one. Must say the palmer adapter is the best way to fit a sat navigation though

19. Hi Spaniel

That's interesting to hear. I'd presumed it was a problem with all the 1200 MTS, not just the DVT. Took mine out again and established I need to have the standard screen right up and the Palmer on mid or forward setting. Anything other than this and the turbulence comes back again. Tried different helmets as that's been a suggestion from others, but it was all the same.
    How tall are you as that seems to be an obvious factor? I'm 6'2" with 34" inside leg for reference. With my findings as detailed above it may well be that someone even a bit taller than me would not see any benefit.
    If you do get the winglets then I'd be interested to hear what difference that makes.

Justin

20. Had the winglets on my 2010 1200. Didn’t think they made any real difference. Ended up drilling them and using them as aux light mounts.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information