1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Pani Track Day.. Not The Best Results...

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Nathanhu, Sep 25, 2017.

1. It’s more that the front is already unloading, and the rear should be starting to ‘steer’ the bike, but the rear isn’t and the front becomes reloaded while banked over; ie when the rubber had already begun to rebound and lost its ‘fat’ contact patch.

I’m paraphrasing what Mike Dickinson (not the orange antique fella ;) ) told us when getting some instruction about why you are safer with brakes on into a corner than gas on

2. There doesnt seem to be any agreement if the front is loading or unloading. :rolleyes:

3. A warden will probably still ticket you for it if you’re over 20 minutes o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. You should be braking all the way to the apex and not floating around the corner on neutral throttle anyway.

But the OP was transitioning from one side to the other I thought so wasn’t a simple case?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Now that makes more sense :). Cant help thinking that as a novice I will fall into the trap of neutral throttle situation.

6. It is like people have said even though it's difficult to explain. The Pani works best when ridden hard. Brake really hard and trail brake deep into the corner to keep the front wheel squashed into the tarmac, then (use the throttle to spin the back to complete the turn if you're brave) and as soon as its safe go hard out of the corner. If you hesitate and go easy around the corners on a neutral throttle then you're not making it grip as well as it could on either the front or the back. They definitely respond better to hooligan riding, when they can be absolutely sublime as they are so light weight and easy to chuck around. Loads of the race crashes before they started using the seat extenders were caused by this characteristic.
    I've been lucky enough to be cutting around in a Porsche GT3 recently and its oddly very similar. It understeers on a neutral throttle but go hard and it will dig in the rear and turn off the back wheels.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. There's a lot more to riding motorcycles than meets the eye I have discovered since reading posts like this, which I find very interesting and informative.
    What I find fascinating is how Dave ( royalwithcream) has managed to go from riding a motorcycle for the first time 4 years ago to where he is now. What's the secret?

8. Its very unlikely, the Panigale happily goes to very extreme lean angles before stuff like this can happen. Also I've not heard of it being something that the 899 suffers from, maybe because they they have narrower rear tyres? Here's another vid for your entertainment. Exactly the same issue except maybe a bit of poor judgement from me as I'd been on slicks for six months and this was on road tyres and embarrassingly a bike that belonged to Ducati.

3 1/2 years actually haha. I love the dynamics of riding and exploring bike handling, it absolutely fascinates me. I think I've just progressed through a lot of practice and obsession. First thing I did when I got my licence was ride around roundabouts all night for a couple of weeks until I got my knee down. Looked a knob but it was a great lesson.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Google ;)

10. love how you get up and carry on! (move along, nothing to see here...........)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fair play....respect. Ordering a take away over your BT headset while sliding down the tarmac without breaking breath. I like the side order while getting back on the bike

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Ive noticed that the pani likes to be hooned. More so than my 1198 which preferred smooth side to side. Like ballet. The pani likes you moving around more and hanging off. On its nose and firing it out. Which tbh isn't my style. Well, it wasn't. But last saturday it clicked. So this here is probably an obituary.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. That's not quite right, you shouldn't be braking at the apex.

14. I dunno but you look like you were asking for a lot of lean angle from a road tyre, whether they were they on warmers or not.

Royal.PNG

15. I said to the apex.

16. Whatever, it's still wrong, you shouldn't be braking that deep.

The pros don't brake that deep so what are you gaining?

17. Yes
    How much racing do you do? How fast are you?

18. Fast enough to give your 1098R a run for its money with my Multistrada engine. Fast enough to corner at around the same speed as Marc Marquez around Silverstone, how about you?

Anyway WTF has that got to do with this? I was replying sensibly to your comment on braking - if you actually study what the pros do, or what they advise then you would know differently - but you'd rather avoid that discussion and just respond with smart ass comments instead. That's gonna improve your understanding isn't it? Err no.

19. Maybe you got the wrong end of the stick me duck.

What I’m saying is that you can ( and should of you want to be fast) brake while still leaning towards the apex. Not too much obviously but not ‘floating’ around the corner is what I was trying to explain in my original reply.

20. Different people have different riding styles, I was under the impression it’s the done thing now to brake to the apex and keep the front end compressed to keep it stable..

I wouldn’t recommend it to a novice though, I can see that being a bit of a recipe for disaster...

You have to be careful underbraking anyway which a lot of info on this subject doesn’t seem to cover. If you’re too aggressive coming off of the brakes you can get front end pop up which swiftly unloads the front tyre and also can cause low sides.

A lot of all this comes down to you as a rider and your understanding of vehicle dynamics and what your inputs physically do to the motorcycle!

#60 Advikaz, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information