1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Panigale Fe. Good Investment?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Mary Hinge, Oct 5, 2017.

1. My friend has a one with about 200 miles on it. o_O Mind you, that's a high miler compared to his 40 mile Desmo! :motorcycleduc:

2. That's mostly when the next generation arrives though, then they begin to climb again a few years later. For example, I bought my 1098R 2 years ago, I think at the bottom of the market, the Panigale was well into production. Once the V4 'R' arrives, you should see the shift, I'll be watching as they are beginning to grow on me a little. :yum

3. I'm watching :bucktooth:

4. There is a real possibilty that the V4R might only have to homologate the capacity for racing depending on what Dorna and the teams decide the rules are for the coming 3 years. We already know that the customer engines have to be identical to the factory engine. So no more higher rev limit for JR :joy:. The more freedom the factories are given to change components, the less 'special' the homologation road bike needs to be. Only problem now is the wait as the bike is unlikely to be available until early 2018 :(. Andy

5. Cool, makes a proper homologation special like the 1098R :motorcycleduc: a bit more super special then. :upyeah: :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would disagree to an extent. Surely the more like a road bike that the race bike has to be, then the scope is there to make the road bike homologation special very special indeed to make it better for racing.

7. Totally agree. Wouldn’t it be great to go back to Ducati producing race bikes that are converted to road, like the old SP and SPS models, rather than road to race, like the current models

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Yep Panigale V4SPS. :heart::heart:

9. I have a few older Ducatis that have appreciated in value since I bought them. Historically there has been a pattern to buying these bikes. When a new model is released the older model depreciates in value and this continues until it becomes the third generation where it bottoms out. They then start to creep back up in value, especially the 'R' models. We've seen it massively with the 916 era then the 749/999 and 1098/1198 models are moving up. I'm not sure this trend is going to continue since Audi took over, the company seems to following what BMW cars did in the early 80's. They became driven by sales figures and began building cars for everyone and every pocket. I'm not going to get into all that talk about that's how businesses grow and move with the times because that's not the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm making is, all this takes the sparkle away from a brand. The CEO of Ducati can stand there saying the brands not being devalued but in my opinion as a customer it is. The reason I started buying the older bikes is because that's where I see a true Ducati and the reason I bought a Ducati in the first place. I don't see this in newer machines, I just see a mass produced product. I don't think I'm alone in this line of thought. Dont get me wrong I have a Panigale and it's great but it just lacks that special bit of something that the 1098, 999 and 998 etc have. This is probably why we've seen bikes such as the 996R and 998R going through the roof with the 999R and 1098R gathering momentum. There's a lot of Ducati owners out there that don't just own a Ducati but are Ducati enthusiasts and as much as the new bikes do the job and do it well, they're lacking that special something and people including myself are looking backwards more than forwards.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. That’s a note in my diary for 3 yrs time to buy last-edition 1199R then :upyeah:

11. Yep, I bought my mint 998 for 4500€ in mid 2014. Value now?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Trust me, the Tricolore is the one. They'res too many 'R's and they're not a limited number. Such like as the superleggera and FE as nice as they are were overpriced and deliberately made for collectors band wagon. And as the saying goes 'if you can see the band wagon coming, you've already missed it' The Tricolore will give you the best margin in ten years time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. But the tricalorie is a regular spec. Bit like comparing a 998S mono with a 998R imho.

14. What about the aniversairo ? 1199r chassis with 1299 engine, limited numbers,35 official uk bikes, well 34 as one was stolen, I admit to having a personal interest ,did not buy as a investment as I ordered before I knew they would be limited.

15. 1198R is on my buy list if I can track one down!

16. Would have to be the 1198R Corse SE but good luck with that, less than 5 bikes sold in the UK. Andy

17. Buy a small flat in London and rent it out.
    Should be enough to cover just the deposit.
    Rent will pay of your mortgage in 25 years and you will be left with a flat worth over £1m.
    That's an investment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Traditionally a road bike has been required to homologation a number of things depending on the rules of the time. For example the Kyalami frame, Pankle titanium con rods, shower injectors, inlet/exhaust valve sizes, slipper clutches to name a few. If The Powers that Be decide teams have a free hand to change whatever they like, the factories are under no obligation to include those trick parts in the homologation model, hence my caution that a V4R might not be what we all hope for. As Dorna are committed to reducing the costs of going racing and making sure that the popularity of WSB never eclipses MotoGP, superbikes are more likely to be superstore spec which is not very different to a road bike anyway. Andy

19. Luckily I'm not from (nor live in) the UK!

20. That's not strictly true though is it @bradders...

It may be an 'S' rather than an 'R' but it did come supplied with most of the Ducati Performance catalogue including the Ti Termignoni, Racing Upmap to suit, arguably the best looking paint scheme of any Panigale produced and they were built for one year only so there aren't many about either.

I would imagine there is a good chance there are a considerable amount more 'R' models about than Tricolores...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information