1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Panigale Fe. Good Investment?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Mary Hinge, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Its the important bits: engine and pedigree. Sandcast casing? Close to the race model? Thats what I would judge it by :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. I agree. The Tri Colour is nice but it's just a very nice S with a paint job and race cans.

For me the collectors bikes are the R models or even more special limited hologmation runs of SOD 3rd.. .from yesteryear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Love this forum! Always tons of valuable input.
    So in summary I would say the purchase of a 1299R FE is a bit of a flakey 'investment'.
    Still fancy one though! Not bought a new bike for years and always liked the lines of the Panigale. And hey, this one will go like fcuk. It's almost SL2 performance for half price.
    Soooo, man maths is winning at the mo. By a long chalk... mwu ha ha ha ha....

4. Its an investment, Time will tell if good or bad financially but emotional its a winner :upyeah: Do it:cool:

5. My sps was a good investment!:p

• Like Like x 1
  6. just buy the one you want,lifes too short to worry,dont buy the bike because of resale value then wish youd bought something else

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. I tend to agree with the views on the Tricolore S, but think I might go for a Gen2 1199R myself :)

8. Probably the nest non SL bike tho :upyeah:

9. Not when you've got the rebuild bill :p LOL

• Like Like x 1
  10. @bradders someone will get a cracking bike when I come to sell it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. in 2018, I'm sure they will

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Your are correct with regards to the Sand casting and close to race model, however supply and demand also play a factor and the Tricolore although not numbered was time limited in production.

So in this particular instance, I agree with @BIG M on the Tricolore being a wise place for money to go hence, I bought one :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Just buy one and use it...
    Very few bikes will retain or gain value if used as they meant to be.
    Just look at 998R for example...how much was a brand new one, how much for the cost of servicing from 03-17 with let's say 20k miles on the clock, how much is the value now...Not a huge gain if at all. Do not forget 9xx series have won a lot of WSBK titles whilst 1199-1299 have barely won couple of races. Although I am not sure championship titles are important when is coming to road bikes.
    If you want investment I would look at exotic cars/paintings/watches and a lot of other things but certainly not a mass produced motorcycle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Financial times said cars and motorbikes, there is more than one opinion, if I could part with mine I would realise a greater profit than if I'd invested in housing.
    Certainly no profit if buying new and keeping years. Most on here who speculate buy on the turn, and enjoy the bikes too :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. The money potential is determined when you buy more than sell, as if you buy wrong then you've no hope of a return. Buying new will seriously limit any return as you're paying top dollar and taking a hit on all the depreciation as the value bottoms out. The key is knowing when the price is bottoming out and buying then secondhand. As with any investment it's half luck as to whether you make anything. I would imagine all those people selling 998Rs didn't consider a residual value when they bought them, they were just very lucky to be in the right place with right bike at the time. However id very much doubt paying £30k for one now will give any return, not for a very long time anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. There was one for sale on here for £16k I think the other month, offered before going for part Ex. That would have been a fab buy, but I don't think anyone snapped it up. I would have if the money net was in the bank!

17. I agree, but you would struggle to find a 7-10 years old panigale R FE :)
    I assume by 30K @BIG M was reffering to FE not 998R.

18. Motorcycles these days and investment don't seem to go together, I'm sure chaps who purchased the Desmosedici have taken a hit. I had a 996sps Pista that the previous owner to me paid $40AU for, I can tell you that's not what I paid him when I took delivery.

Certain models hold value a little better than others as we all know but if you are only buying while thinking about resale I think it spoils the whole process, well anyway it does for me.

19. Don't think anyone on this forum buys for profit alone if collecting.
    But if I can speculate and buy a bike, and double my money in 5 years, it is a good financial investment and makes perfect sense. If you don't believe this is possible or would not like doubling your money so quickly then stay away from this investment.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yeah I meant buying new, I should have been more specific. And probably about the new FE. At least I hope they don't hold the price, I want one.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information