1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Panigale Servicing. What You Pay?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Kevster84, Dec 9, 2017.

1. I was severely pissed off a couple of weeks ago. Phoned Ducati Glasgow to ask if my bike would need a service as it's been a year since the last service and only done 500 miles to be told that it'll need a fluid service to keep the warranty up at 300 quid. Wasn't happy at all but it's been done. Bikes only done 1700 miles from new and had 2 services because of the warranty

2. I would strongly agree with the above. I can easily manage my own servicing but I work six days a week already so whenever I need anything done it's a trip to somewhere better equipped and where there are properly trained technicians who can cope with whatever eventualities may or may not arise. I'm sure it's cost me a few bob extra over the years but when I need help I get it, and I for one won't be buying anything that doesn't have a properly documented service history because someone's tried to save themselves a few pennies here and there!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Just fired them an email for a quote and what's involved. It does have a section saying first annual service £179 which it is as bikes only had the 600 mile run in service previous.

4. There you are then, you've saved £100 already and you get to keep the history up to date and a maybe helpful relationship!

5. Haha we'll see. I'll probably do fluids myself still. Already flushed the front brakes as fluid was black.

6. Yep but the fluids will still need to be done as it’s yearly for Ducati’s which is set out in their service schedules. Not only that 500 miles or not, the oils probably got a fair bit of moisture in it from not doing anything and it does ‘decay’ after time.

There is an argument that engines are designed to be used and them sitting around doesn’t do them any favours.

7. Well that's mine all screwed if so. I have three bikes at present (soon to be four) and about 500kms between them!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. My uncles the same, the mans got over 17 bikes and not a single one has over 700 miles on them.

9. Funny how most cars are all conditioned based servicing now with none I know of being an annual service. Only fluid that needs changed is brake fluid after 2 years. No way that oil is decaying after a year. Just Ducatis way off getting money out of you for the first 2 years

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Doesn't oil only lose its vasticity through heat cycles? So standing dorment would be fine.

11. Is vasticity a thing? First time I heard of it.

12. Not sure I spelled it correctly. Lol I think its a term for lubrication properties within the oil which through heat and use it loses and hence needing replaced. An oil doesn't cease to be slippery anymore just the properties are lost.

13. VISCOSITY. Correct spelling.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Oh cool.

15. Yeah that's where i got £270 from and £136 for fluids every 3 years. It seems people arnt paying that.

16. I think i normally pay around £200 +vat with MotoRapido. The guys there do a great job.....plus you get a decent cup of coffee!

17. bring it to worcester ill do it for you for half the price

18. Not just ducati. Pretty much all bikes are on an annual schedule. Engine oil has a much harder time than a car. It has to lube the gearbox and deal with the shear stresses that imposes and also now contamination from wet clutches, plus all the usual lubricant requirements at higher revs. It's a very tough life for bike engine oils compared to cars even with turbos.

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information