1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Panigale Servicing. What You Pay?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Kevster84, Dec 9, 2017.

1. I still think it should last longer than 500 miles and a year

2. I home service my bike and use oem parts and go way over above what the manufacturer's schedule stipulates.

I don't choose to home service just to save some money, I do it as I want to do more than specified which I consider the bare minimum of bike maintenance. I also like to take more care and show more passion than I have personally ever experienced in any dealers and because I enjoy doing it myself. I know I have done it 100% correct with no corners cut which gives me a lot of confidence when riding.

I generate a report and have all the receipts. Never had a problem part exchanging any of my bikes as always have a very thick and detailed dossier of information on the bike to justify its provenance.

I would welcome any inspection and don't see I have cut any corners.

Home Servicing if done well with documentation to back it up has nothing wrong with it. You can learn a lot about how a bike has been looked after by talking to an owner who has lavished love and care in looking after his pride and joy. If I was buying a bike and it had been home serviced by a competent owner I would be happy.

Tbh alot of dealer servicing basics will be done by the dealers apprentice. The skilled technicians will be working on more complex jobs.

#42 BladeRR8, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. No your not, welcome to the modern world :(

4. I service mine myself but I still take it in annually to get the dealer stamp.

My lotus would have 3 oil and brake fluid changes a year and a new air filter and gearbox oil every year but I still took it for its annual dealer service. Selling it without dealer stamps would be impossible.

I keep receipts for everything and record milage so can show I have serviced between intervals.

If you have out of warranty issues with a full history you have half a chance of getting some sort of good will from the manufacturer. You can also negotiate better rates by doing some of the work yourself but still letting the dealer do some of the work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. When I had my independent assessor do the report on the snapped crank, he was telling me that they cannot refuse you warranty for home servicing so long as you use the proper parts. He also went as far as to say they cannot refuse it on different brands of oil too, so long as the oil is within the temperature spec of the manual.

I had home serviced (2 oil changes) mine when it went wrong. You’d think that would have given them the opportunity to back out but I showed receipts and it all went through fine. That was BlackHorse though and not Ducati, but the assessor said they had enough evidence to show Ducati were at fault.

• Like Like x 1
  6. it is a rip off but I wont mind so much if they wore a mask over their face cos after all it is day lite robbery but they have no shame wot so ever ,I wud do it yourself & get a local garage to stamp ur book as ur warenty is nearly out as long as ur sure u have no possible problems that r likely to start

7. Agree. The annual service schedule is not just about changing oil though.

8. Ford, Vauxhall, Volvo all annual/12k intervals regardless

9. Wha
    Do you know what's covered in an annual service off hand?

10. I meant proper cars lol

11. PSA have condition based, Peugeot were one of the first, hardly call those proper cars :p

12. PSA have condition based, Peugeot were one of the first, hardly call those proper cars :p

13. M&S are spot on with me, I've had nothing but a positive experience from the workshop. They picked one of my bikes up for a service this morning.

14. I wonder if that's really the case though. I suspect that motorcycles aren't specifically mentioned in the regulations but nobody is prepared to test it because it would involve taking the manufacturer to court which would be prohibitively expensive.

15. Diagnostic read out
    Application of any applicable SW updates
    Oil and filter
    Check for technical updates and/or recalls
    Torque/fastener inspections (Motor
    Fluid levels
    Brake inspection
    Chassis torque checks/inspection
    Axle fasteners torque checks
    Final drive inspection
    Clean, lube/adjust final drive
    Heat exchanger inspect
    Suspension inspect
    Rear suspension mountings check
    Sidestand mounts inspect
    Wiring/plumbing routing inspect
    Controls lube
    Tyre pressures
    Tyre inspect
    Charging system checks
    Electrical inspect
    Lighting/horn/controls inspect
    Clean and polish..
    Test

Not rocket science, It's all in the handbook. Most is doable at home, some isn't like the SW updates and recall ops.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I think it is, actually, named exclusion...but it’s been years since I had to know that stuff!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Page 16: applies to motor vehicles as defined 3 wheels or more.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/explanatory_brochure_en.pdf

Would bring in to scope those Yamaha things ;)

#58 bradders, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. So bikes discriminated against again.

19. More excluded from that ruling.

Helps if I paste the link : unamused:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information