1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Panigale Servicing. What You Pay?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Kevster84, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Yes, the link helps.
    So why were bikes excluded? Are motorcyclists regarded as a lesser species?

2. Thing is, my personal view is this, and it applies to the car game to some degree nowadays to, that in the service schedules the manufacturers list (in Ducati's case but it applies across other marques) "reading of the error memory with DDS 2.0 and check of software version update on control units"....
    It doesn't sound much, but the bottom line is that this equipment (DDS 2.0) isn't available outside of the official network, Ducati or whichever marque you want to cite, only make the full version available to official workshops.
    Legally, there's the get out.
    The EU rulings are written to alleviate a "monopoly" if you like, but service work is a huge part of a dealers business and the manufacturer is going to protect that to some degree. They're also going to make sure their product is kept in as good a shape as possible so as to reflect well on them for future sales in terms of reliability.
    The full schedule, to the letter, as specified by the manufacturer, can't be completed by an independent shop or DIY. Ducati use Texa equipment. You can buy it for a couple of grand and many shops I know use it, but they don't have the access or functions that my equipment has.
    I've not personally come across this being used, but the SW updates come thick and fast nowadays (as do the technical updates) and in todays culture of internet "hearsay" and the no win no fee legal farce, I can see it coming one day.
    Personally, I'm all for owners looking after their own bikes. I've pretty much always looked after mine. It creates a bond and understanding of the machine. I know some very handy people that work on their bikes as well as a bona fida workshop would. I also understand why many still choose to roll their bike into our workshop each year to. The difficult part comes when a bike has a problem, hasn't been near an official workshop for years and the owner gives me grief that it shouldn't be playing up as it's been looked after "properly" and it obviously hasn't. For the half dozen people on this thread that can do a decent job and take pride in doing it, there's a dozen who "think" they can do and can't.... the rules have to apply to the majority for this very reason. I can be told a 100 times the job was done "correctly" but unless I did it, or know that it was, then there's 2 opinions and which one am I going to believe? Which one is Ducati going to believe? Fitting genuine parts is all well and good, but when fitted incorrectly and it goes wrong, how can that be warranty or Ducati's fault? I've lost count of such occasions over the years... timing belts is always a favourite, but simple things like brake pads in the wrong way around, clutches built up wrong, wheel spacers missing....
    It's unfortunate that some people feel "let down" by having their bike serviced, and paying for the privelidge. I can't effect that. I can only do what I do to the best of our shops ability and "touch wood" it works out well and I have very few, if any issues. If the owner does their own work though, and something goes wrong, then they have to take some/all of the blame for it. It's not cheap, I know that, but neither is buying in to the business we're in. Labour rates can be scary, but that is a reflection of the overheads businesses have to suffer. I'm fairly lucky that my overheads are relatively modest but I know some have huge costs to cover. Equipment costs are huge to.
    End of the day, you pays ya money and takes your chance. There's a lot, or appears to be, a lot of grievence with the trade and that saddens me. We're all in for the bikes (at least I am) at the end of the day and keeping them running sweet, as well as the customers, means as much to me as riding them.
    My advice is always official servicing whilst in warranty, and for as long as the customer can afford to after that. Goodwill is a strong point of Ducati in my experience and a FSH is the only way it would be gotten. Owners can do as much or as little as they like or are able to do, it's their bike at the end of the day, but it's always worth dropping it into an official workshop for a once over, even if it's a hours labour to catch up on SW updates and/or technical updates.
    Stamps in books can be everything when selling the bike, but be mindful, that stamp (in my case anyhow) is as good as my signature and is my reputation. If I've not done the full job then I wouldn't be stamping any book. Some may not be so proud as I am, but if I was asked to put my name to someone elses handywork I'm afraid they'd be in for a rude awakening..

• Like Like x 8
  3. totally agree

4. Thanks for such a comprehensive reply Nelly. I can see your point of view and have no argument with it. For me, once the bike is out of warranty I do all servicing. By the time the bikes are 3 years old there seems to be very little in the way of updates but I will take the opportunity to find out.

5. Great post nelly.:upyeah:

6. I agree Derek, but only a couple of weeks ago, we had a guy bring in a 2012 (?) MTS he'd just bought for an annual service. It was short of 4 tech updates, pretty much every SW update it had ever needed and one VOSA safety recall he knew nothing about. Previous owner had obviously neglected the service work and had chosen to ignore the letter from VOSA. This guy had bought it in good faith but could've been riding round on a prayer...
    It had some history from new, but fell short after the two years..

7. My last Multi, a 2010, had a safety recall on the twistgrip/cable assembly but I never did get the VOSA safety recall letter!

8. Always the problem when human beings are involved... That recall was issued 5 years after the first affected production run, so always worth checking ;)
    I'm still doing them as and when they come in..

9. Aside from resale, this one is the real kicker. You won’t think it is important until you need it. My recent 1299S rebuild was £10k+ with original parts and rebuilt by the dealer. In the end, I only had to contribute £500 due to Ducati UK supplying parts and my dealer (Aylesbury) rebuilding it at their own cost... neither would have contributed had I not just had its last service (after the warranty had run out) completed at my dealers. Personally I’m happy to pay for that backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I wrote to Kawasaki years ago and got it in writing the bike would still be covered under warranty if home serviced.

11. Don’t buy an HS2 then. Small print clearly states no warranty given or implied and it requires a full engine inspection after I think 5 hours running time over 8000rmp in addition to the regular maintenance. Andy

12. that was good of them not many would do that, what went wrong with the bike

13. Crank siezed. Made a mess of everything! I do know the first thing Ducati UK asked for is the service history. I’m convinced the whole thing would have been my problem without continuation of the Dealer history after the warranty finished.

14. 12 months service quoted at £212 just now.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information