1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale Street Fighter On Its Way?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ducati worx, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Surely the market has changed a lot since 2009? Sportsbikes are no longer big sellers and supernakeds now sell to those who would have bought those sportsbikes.

Ducati just got their pricing wrong with the original Streetfighter. You would hope they do not make the same mistake again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ducati have the 160hp monster. That’s it’s supernaked

3. Not their fault, but they also brought it out bang in the middle of the financial crash, at the beginning of a long and deep recession. It was over-priced and should not have been, but over-priced in those economic conditions was never going to work. The bike market and the economy have moved on. There's no reason to make the same mistake/have the same bad luck now.

4. Agree that the timing had a LOT to do with it's lack of sales. 2009 was if anything the end of sportsbikes being the preferred choice, but specifically for Ducati they had the 848 and 1098 selling fantastically well relative to other sportsbikes and maybe some that were considering a SF went for 'one last sportsbike'. Also I agree with other comments, the Monster R is now the replacement for the streetfigher, or should be.

Also, the name 'streetfighter'.... When I hear it I just think of shite Bandit 1200 with anodised bolts, polished wheels and swingarms and gash simpson helmets..

5. The S with all the latest kit is 20-30bhp down on the big boys so it can’t hang with them from a performance perspective. It’s also not ergonomically suited aggressive riding. These are not necessarily criticisms but the “supernaked” class are meant to be stripped back superbikes with some added comfort and top end exchanged for midrange - the Monster is not this.

#45 Jimmy899, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I think the R1M looks like a catfish...

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Haha, I can see where you can get the catfish idea from. But its £5k cheaper than the v4s and has full carbon fairings instead of cheap looking plastic (imho).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I would love to see a new SF. I think the range has room, and as it has been said, the Monster really is its own thing.
    I don't agree with the comments about overpricing. It's positioned as a premium brand, simple as - just like the car, shoe, suit, watch, pen and any other industry has stupidly expensive options where brand equity plays a big part.
    If I was deciding with my wallet only, I'd have an MT07....but I don't :cool:

9. Agree, I REALLY hate to say this, but the R1M in the flesh is stunning, and beautifully thought out and finished. Whether you like the way it looks is somewhat different to how well it's been executed. The V4 has so many strange panel fits and bits of 'burred up' plastic edges around the rear seat unit and exposed brackets behind the clocks etc that just make it look clumsy.

10. "The aerodinamic shape of the new Panigale V4 has been perfectioned in the wind tunnel, according to the best available technologies." Blame the wind :p

11. Its too fat so the blockage ratio in the windtunnel is worse than a fat man in a gale.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I agree. The current R1 is the best looking Japanese sport bike, or any multi-cylinder sports bike. Its better looking than the S1000RR and dare I say it, at least as good looking in its own way if not better than the 1299. Its aggressively styled but serious. Yamaha have obviously learned from the Europeans and moved on from usual Japanese nastiness of tacky plastics, gaudy colour schemes and silly cartoon graphics and designed a mature bike that doesn't look like its been aimed at teenagers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bye bye Hypermotard if a streetfighter is released

14. But Yamaha and Ducati is like comparing Nissan and Ferrari.

15. Sooner have a skyline than any ferrari. :p

Plus that old adage is no longer relevant. Jap stuff is excellent.

• WTF WTF x 1
  16. So is George @ Asda but i wouldn't wear it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Maybe it’s more of an Alfa and Nissan comparison o_O

The problem for Ducati in selling a potential new Streetfighter in decent numbers is the cost of the competition. KTM, BMW and Aprilia are premium brands and can be had for under £15k.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thats because you need to shop at jacamo. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Love how nobody while pointing out how Yamaha R1 is like a nissan compared to a Ferrari has acknowledged that Ducati have been VW owned for years now and the evidence is clear to see in their design! The bikes do work properly (ish) now but have they lost some character while the Japanese stuff is gaining it.. controversial...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  20. Didn’t Yamaha recruit one of the chief designers at Ducati a few years back?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information