1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V2 Panigale V2 - Good Everyday Sport Option?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Sidney Post, Oct 2, 2020.

1. For a few reference points, I tested a Yamaha R3, and as long as I kept the revs up, that little motor had plenty of zip left at 70MPH. To be honest, I was a little surprised how zippy it was at 70MPH with plenty of rev range left. Obviously too lightweight and buzzy for what I want. My little Kawasaki KLX-250S really gets blown around on the road at highway speeds.

I have demo'ed a couple of naked Japanese 1,000cc options which aren't nearly as peaky as a SuperSport. A high gear roll-on from ~30MPH in a tall gear was pretty good with the low-end grunt and the horsepower kicked in pretty hard in the 5,000~6,000 range. If someone was going to side-swipe me, a quick twist of the throttle would provide pretty good acceleration as one option to leave the 'danger zone'.

I really wanted to like the HyperMotard but, it is too much like a dual-sport in terms of general ergonomics and not something for me and longer, not just urban commutes, distance rides. Lots of fun for local hooliganism though!

I tried a Yamaha FJR1300 and while a great option for what I'm looking for it was way too boring, to the point of preferring a 4-door 'cage' (aka Toyota or Honda sedan). Some of the similar Hondas I looked at had a ~7,000 RPM rev limit which is a non-starter to me even if it does get awesome fuel mileage.

I prefer new mainly because used where I live is very hard to find to start with. When found, they aren't much cheaper, or cheap enough to skip a factory warranty. "Collectors" seem to think used Ducati's are something extra special and worth as much or more than new ones frequently.

So, I guess the best description of what I'm trying to find is a Psuedo-Yamaha FJR1300 that isn't as dull as "milk toast' and a soul killer. I don't want a super peaky engine like a Yamaha R1 or KTM motocross motorcycles. I want better handling than a classic Harley or Honda Goldwing as they simply don't stir the soul, to the point of preferring a small 4-door sedan.

The Aprilia Tuono is tempting but, dealer access is an issue for me. AF1 Racing would provide really good "remote" dealer support though. The pending Tuono 660 is one that interests me but, will it be a 2022 model? I want something I can ride today or early next year (I live in a warm winter area- YEA!). And it remains to be seen if it has race bike ergonomics with just a more upright set of clip-ons or if it has some Sports Tourer ergonomic updates.

When the price climbs well beyond $14,000USD like the 950/1260 Multistrada options (new and used), they simply become too expensive. The Panigale V2 bumps that threshold but, I can suck it up. The Monster 821 would be an easy choice but, luggage and wind are the main initial hangups.

I guess the most accurate class description of what I'm trying to find is the Ducati Sport Tourer. I have read a few random online previews that suggested the Panigale V2 was a Sports Tourer. Specifically, a V4 SuperSport that was softened enough for reasonable touring duty. If that is simply wrong, then those reviews have misled me. Perhaps Ducati doesn't make an appropriate motorcycle for me today and I should just get a Yamaha Super Tenere and see what 2022 holds for an Aprilia 660 Tuono but, something other than a big Adventure Tourer or milk toast dull Sport Tourer is what I want right now under Covid manufacturing duress and skittish consumers at large. Perhaps I need to wait for some manufacturing optimism to feed consumers post-Covid. Surely, Ducati or someone else will make something other than a naked or adventure bike that is more than an extreme SuperSport or dull commuter or hyper-miler-focused commuter.

#21 Sidney Post, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. Never in a million years is the V2 a sports tourer:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks! During Covid my opportunity to travel ~3 hours each way to AMS Ducati in Dallas, Texas has been a challenge.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information