1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Pannier Fix?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bjohnson, Sep 24, 2017.

1. does anyone have details of a pannier fix for the latch mechanism?

My right pannier (exhaust side) the latch mechanism has broken, with pannier removed, lifting and lowering the handle does not move the catch in/out.

There are only 4 screws visible on the pannier that may allow removal of the cover and exposure of mechanism to make a fix. Have the screws out but the cover doesn't come away, don't want to force it.

Checked the parts diagram I had, but it doesn't show the panniers so I can't check for lugs and things that may lead to a clue about disassembly.

Anyone done this or can post up any pointers??

2. Don't know if this is any use.

[​IMG]

3. That was helpful, thanks.

Have it apart now and have found the problem, the plastic arm between the handle and sliding mechanism is broken.

I'll post up some pics when I get to a PC.

Getting it apart is easy - to remove top piece which has handle and lock all integrated, remove 2 small screws on outside of pannier top piece, 3 small screws from inside and then 4 large screws also inside. The top piece then lifts off easily.

The broken piece was withdrawn, the remaining part connected to the handle, is held on by a small c clip.

Have both pieces, going to attempt to glue and see if that works, otherwise I'll see if the dealer can order the individual piece

4. This is the removed top piece with the handle and lock integral
    image.jpeg

This one is trying to show the underside of the top piece, might be able to make out the broken piece
    image.jpeg

This is the broken piece and the latch. Moving the handle, pushes the arm (the broken piece) back and forth which pushes the latch in and out
    image.jpeg

This is the arm and the latch separated
    image.jpeg

Have superglued the arm and reassembled, seems to be working fine but haven't tried attaching them to the bike yet.

Reassembly pretty straightforward, although a bit fiddly reconnecting the arm onto the spindle which is part of the handle.

If you need to try this fix, make sure the latch is in place before you connect the arm back onto its spindle.

#4 Bjohnson, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. Hi bjohonson,
    Did glue it help? Did it stay Put.

6. Yes it did work.

Last years service I had a recall on the pannier mechanisms and the dealer had to swap out some of the plastic parts for metal. He couldn't do this pannier because I'd attempted a repair (not that I told them that!) and I ended up having to pay to replace the mechanism. Luckily the dealer investigated and was able to order just the mechanism for about £150 as his starting point was a whole new pannier!!!!

7. Revival of old thread to put a question: I had the same issue has you but after changing the same part as you changed I noticed that the support itself in the bike was broken. I can't find the part to order.
    Anyone with the same issue? I ask myself if I should just replace it (after I knoe the part to order) or if I should create and adapt something more solid (in metal) over there.

2019-08-31 19_34_53-Foto - Google Fotos.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information