1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol Tank Securing Strap Play

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by indiecourier, May 25, 2017.

1. Hello again

Well, the ST is running and riding even better now but ....

Wheeled it out of the garage this morning for a wash and, when I leant the bike on my hip, noticed that the tank was moving about.

On investigation I found it possible to lift the front of the tank the best part of an inch upwards, allowing a certain amount of sideways movement as well.

The hinge is correctly located, the two rubber cushions towards the front of the tank that locate onto the frame rails and the securing strap are all present and appear in good condition.

So can you tell me if this amount of play in the strap is correct or is it possible for the strap to stretch?

Thanks

2. No, the rubber strap at the front should need stretched bit to fit over the hook on the tank and should keep the tank reasonably firmly in place. You might be able to lift it a few mm but nothing like an inch. Oddly, I can't seem to be able to find the rubber strap in the parts lists for any of the ST series.

3. Hi Derek.

It's very odd. I reckon I'd have noticed the tank being slack before if it had been, if you see what I mean.

Basically the tank will move up and sideways when I lean the bike against my leg so it's pretty slack.

It's hard to imagine that strap stretching or going too elastic but I can't see what else it could be .... the brackets at each end can hardly bend and the pivot end of the tank is sound (rustwise) and shows no sign of distress.

Don't suppose you've got a spare tucked away anywhere? btw I've checked virtually every page of the parts book and you're right ..... not present.

4. You might be best to contact a dealer and see if you can get another. It shouldn't be expensive, assuming it's available.
    If the tank is moving around significantly it with be putting a strain on the rear bracket where it is welded to the tank. These are a known weak point that can lead to a leaky tank.

5. That had occured to me, as it happens.

Luckily Steve over in Westbury has at least one spare from STs he's turned into 888 knock-offs (I know, why turn one of the best bikes to come out of Bologna into one of the worst? Beats me!) and he's promised to hot-foot to the post office in the morning.

Meantime I reckon one of my extensive collection of cable-ties will do the trick. If it's good enough for securing drug dealers if should be OK for 4 gallons of super-unleaded, eh?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information