1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philip Island Wsbk #spoiler#

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Wassy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Highlights on itv4 at 8pm tonight.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. It’s just not factual for anyone to say that the bike they’re racing in WSBK is anything like a road bike. I think that’s unfair of him to suggest that. And as said above, Kawasaki have deep enough pockets and the technical know how to produce anything they choose IF they are so inclined.

His bike has been clearly faster in a straight line for many seasons prior to the V4 and Chaz has often tucked the front trying to make up lost time in the corner. The braking zone is the preferred passing spot in many cases and if you’re doing everything possible to catch back up, a pass is obviously going to be a step too far.

When you look at the differences to a dealer purchased road bike, they are almost too many to list but to have a quick stab at it, the following are different on both Ducati and Kawasaki and just about everything on the grid:-
    Frame geometry, engine internals, Rev limit, clutch, swinging arm, wheels, brake discs/callipers, forks, petrol tank/ fuel cell, subframe, handle bars, switchgear, electronics, rear shock, bodywork materials, dash board and there’s more that escapes me right now. In fact the similarity to the road machine is really - engine architecture, chassis (albeit heavily modified) and general silhouette.

There’s no way any rider on the planet could take an 18,000 euro bike and do what Rea, Bautista or any one of them do with their Race bikes. Simply no way at all.

I think the other manufactures need so step up in the same way Ducati have done after struggling for as long as they clearly have.

Mart

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rea is already on a homologation special himself though! Which isn’t 18k like he said.

Also, there will be virtually nothing on that bike that’s alike to the road bike anyway.

He’s just whining because the playing field has levelled and other manufacturers are catching up.

4. I've only just had the chance to watch the race. Cannot take it away from him or the machine that was truly awesome.

However, I can't help but feel cheated. All Ducati have essentially done is taken MotoGP to the WSBK class, why wouldn't you win by 15 secs. A GP rider and a GP machine albeit 2015 but armed with that they should of bloody well won!

5. If you listened to Rea immediately after the first race, he said, given the challenges he had last year and his concern about tyre wear, he was holding back. In the sprint race it was nip and tuck all 10 laps and a winner could have come from 3 or 4 riders. Final race Bautista let loose and Rea was embroiled in time losing tussles with his team mate. Rea also stated that Philip Island is his worst circuit whilst PI is Bautista’s favourite and has been during his career. If you look at the times of the top 10 riders Rea was still a clear second whilst not trying. IMO, Thailand has a lot of fast straight track so the Ducati’s high speed will favour it but wait until Aragon and the Kawasakis will be a lot more competitive. Not sure I agree that the V4RS is as close to a MotoGP bike as you believe though. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Interesting point to make.
    To be fair tho, Ducati have built a bike completely within the rules set out by organisers. The very same rules all the other teams adhere to. Their interpretation seems to be working well on the face of this last weekend. But we have to remember, Bautista is a class rider, on one of his favourite tracks up against Rea on his bogey track. It will be interesting to see what happens elsewhere.

Remember, this is not a new concept at all for this class. We’ve seen this before in WSBK. The V4R is not the first V4 with a GP racer on it. Aprilia built one years ago and stuck Biaggi on it. The other manufacturers, including Ducati could have built one then to try and compete, but chose not to.

I think it’s another example of MotoGP technology filtering down to the road. It may take 5 - 10 years to happen but I am delighted as it means our road bikes are awesome now. Truly beyond our dreams from just a few years ago.

If we assume that GP bikes are the best answer the manufactures can dream up to get two wheels around a track, then it’s fair to assume that technology will be best for Superbike too. I wouldn’t be surprised if more manufacturers follow suit with a V4 variant soon. Honda are rumoured to be bringing a V4 roadbike out next, and that will be because Marquez races one in GP. It makes absolute perfect sense.

Mart

#66 Martin Ducati Glasgow, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I think I heard someone say that the overall race time was only 3 seconds faster than Melandri’s win on last years bike.
    By that rational, it seems tyres, engine configuration, electronics, chassis and how they effect tyre degradation is more a key to the lap times than sheer outright straight line speed, across race distance.

There’s no point having huge speed if you waste a tyre rapidly - you’ll finish last, if you finish at all.

This is where the teams need to solve the conundrum of one fast lap versus race distance.

Good news is that we’ll eventually benefit from all this hard work.

Mart

#67 Martin Ducati Glasgow, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Okay, maybe a bit too early with that one. I don't want to see one procession replaced by another. Bautista made that look so easy though

9. Agreed. I don’t think it will be that way. But hopefully as a Ducati fan we can see a few more wins.

Mart

Do Not Sell My Personal Information