1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pillion Not Comfortable On Back, Ideas Wanted

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Robbo777, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Thanks again for further detail and the pic, most appreciated. I guessed that folding up might no longer be possible. Quite a throw of adjustment on yours. SW Motech ones appear to have a relatively subtle range of movement. Possibly all I need, she's 6' so upwards isn't required, just a little more distance from the panniers when fitted. Need to have a look at available space, yours would likely move her feet too close to my calfs.

2. You could also consider getting the touring pillion seat. It has a far more pronounced shape, with a hump at the front. Stops the pillion migrating onto the riders seat under heavy downhill braking :yum
    Aside from that as others have said you just need to get used to it. Try using touring mode rather than sports, as it is a far more progressive throttle.

3. My MV Turismo had not a hump but a bump that women tended to find 'uncomfortable' over longer periods of time... I think the designers intended the pillion experience to be a thrill on more than one level for the fairer sex... The factory comfort seat option I purchased didn't have this feature and when I sold my bike I put the OEM one back on. The buyer of my rider and pillion comfort seats bought them to make it possible for his partner to join him on extended rides...

Tribo pillion seat cover is a good start in pillion stability and is far cheaper than replacing the seat, worth trying first. We got one at the outset and girlfriend is very happy on the back. We spoke to a couple on a 1260 whilst ours was on order and they recommended it.

Not sure if the OP has a DVT or not. Might be worth also considering a throttle spacer kit, has made a difference with on/off throttle smoothness on mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I appreciate they may not be for everyone, but given the choice mrs W prefers the touring seat.
    We have had the touring seats that I bought for our 2010 when it was new. Had them on that bike and then its replacement, so coming on for 9 years now.
    We had a touring seat on our previous bike (ST4S) as she would slide forward when playing in the Alps. The touring seat solved that, made her feel more comfortable, and meant I could push on more before 'Sally Satnag' started bleating through the intercom :blush:
    150 quid for a seat that makes our trips more comfortable for her and lets me get away with having more fun is money well spent imo :cool:

I can't comment on the DVT seats (except to say they seem a lot more money) as I don't have a DVT.

5. I purchased the Gilles offset footpegs for my Mrs, she too found the Gen panniers quite uncomfortable and only able to get her heels on them, the Gilles stuff has a 40mm offset and this has made a difference for her I'll try take some pics as they still fold up OK

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to start by taking the bike to have its suspension set up as I have everything at the default settings at the moment, and then try the back box and go from there.

7. My lad (8 yr old) struggled on the back of my multi when I had one and I bought some love handles for my waist for him to hold onto and it was much better. He used to put one hand on the back bar and one on the love handle to combat braking and acceleration and it stopped him clonking my lid. Only problem was he got so comfy he used to fall asleep!

• Like Like x 2
  8. My 9 year old son can't reach the pillion pegs properly yet. When he does, it's time to buy kids bike gear :)

9. BrassFlute, When my wife first started doing bike trips we used a 'pillion pal' too, which gave her a lot more confidence (back then we were on a fireblade so not much else to hang on to).
    Well worth the money if it means a happy wife and more bike trips, despite the initial p!ss taking from my mates.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pillion Pal sounds so much better than love handles but regardless they are really good:)

11. Went from a GSXR which the Mrs loved to the 1200DVT which she didnt. ¬On the GSXR she was leaning forward with her weight over the foot rests and she was nice and secure. On the Multi shes sat more upright with her weight further back, this meant when ever i accellerated she tipped backwards, to the point she had bruises on her inner calfs from trying to grip the sidepanels.

I then fitted the backbox and that made a world of difference, no more tipping back and shes happy once again, apart from the fact she cannot see over my head like she could on the GSXR .... sorry love i cannot help on that one.

12. My wife, being the world's worse pillion, likes the multistrada! Previous bike used " love handles" mainly to keep her on the bike (Ducati Scrambler)but also stop the headbutting! With the multi topbox with fitted backrest has helped, still get the odd headbutt but a world of difference!
    I had a Rigid tail Harley so agree a V twin, L Twin etc will take a while to get used to gear change wise, hardly use the clutch changing up! And use engine braking changing down, feed the clutch in.
    Heavy braking still gets me crushed nuts tho

• Like Like x 1
  13. In addition to the "suggestions" already presented , here is approach that I took.

I bought a BMW K1600GTL that the Misses loves as it is easily the most comfortable bike she has ever had to ride pillion upon. When we take the Multi (2016 1200S) and are two up, I put the Top Case on and that resolves the "backoff" and security issue but not necessarily the Head butts depending upon how aggressive I am riding. The pillion does tend to push her forward.

She does not ride two up on the S1000XR as it is just too uncomfortable ( I don't have a Top Case for it) and it is very "active".

So this was obviously not the least expensive solution but it certainly got my garage full of nice bikes!!!!!!!

Cheers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Thanks all, it seems the biggest issue was that I took her out and used sport mode. Now I use Touring mode with a top box and a back rest, the box has given her more confidence and the touring mode and the softer riding style has stopped the headbutting when changing gears. :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. my other half was the same but the seated position is more up right and had her on the balancing point as apposed to leant forward on a more sportier ride she wont get on the back now with out the box on £500 to keep her happy ! now I can do what ever I like with the throttle and she doesn't moan to often .

• Like Like x 1
  17. booster cushion rich !

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. touring mode is by far the best option when two up, as the progressive throttle makes for a smoother more controlled ride.

Steve71, same for me. Wife wants the top box on the bike for the feeling of security. That and it gives her something to lean on when she falls asleep :laughing:

19. this is sterling work

20. Try riding as a pillion, then you'll understand what the wives have to put up with. I only know what it is like as when my chain snapped in the French Alps I had to ride pillion on on my mate's Multi whilst my bike was loaded on to the recovery truck. Well. what a work out that was - no top box, and I couldn't believe how hard it was to to hold on with moderately quick riding. Since that experience I really try to ride more smoothly when she's on the back, even putting the bike into uban mode and she is much happier - get to ride all day if on a tour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information