1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slicks, Which Compound ?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Android853sp, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I will be using slicks for the first time at Almeria this year and would appreciate some advice on which of the compounds would be the best suited to the track. I’ve chosen the Pirelli because I’ve been offered a pair at a very good price. Last year the air temperature was in the mid 20s except for the last day when it jumped into the 30s. It’s an open pit lane format, I have tyre warmers and would prefer the tyres to be good for a couple of days. What is the consensus ? Many thanks, Andy

2. I’d say zero rear possibly hard front. But be prepared to wear a rear out in a day, easy!

@graeme4130 would probably have a good opinion.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Like bradders says, they won’t last long! Great tyres but I got fed up of em wearing out ! I switched to bridgstone VO2s couple of years ago, wouldn’t go back! Bob at FWR is the best,cheapest

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sc1's front and rear
    sc1 f sc2 r if you are easing in and not a racing god.:rolleyes:

5. SC2? Bit hard for 30 deg heat isn’t it? Still better than the pretend pure;I slicks I guess ;)

6. depends how good he is at keeping the heat in them....the SC0 is way too soft in my humble opinion...

interestingly Simon was initially using 'treaded' pirelli at portimao on his rsv, and the tyre man said not to use tyre warmers with them....

• WTF WTF x 1
  7. Zero is more a qualifier is it not? Be in the bin before you know it. Most use the tried and tested 2 rear and 1 front.
    I use 2 front and back as I seem to V 1's at the front quickly.

8. I ran SC0 both part worn from wilf and new. I’d get a day on a regular trackday, low end fast group so not setting the world alight but no TC and 170hp will wear a grippy tyre pretty quick.
    I tried an sc1 rear and tbh it didn’t last much longer, summers day on a non abrasive (ie normal!) track.
    Fronts have never seems to matter!

I’m sure the superstock boys don’t run warmers either ;) obviously an expert

9. i believe the non tyre warmer thing was more around the composition of the tyre...

10. Must have been a poor road tyre.

11. Wasn’t tyres r us was it...: unamused:

12. Depends on who the tyre guy was because some of them talk utter bollocks. I would only ask someone I knew and trusted.
    Andy has asked the question on here and has got numerous different answers so is no better off really.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Almeria is notoriously savage on tyres. And yes, you can easily do a rear in in one day. Expensive job if you're running Dunlops. I'd spend the 1st morning murdering whatever you've got on to start with, after lunch or whatever, stick some new rubber on.

14. You can go too hot, depends on the track and ambient/track temperature. I was at Brno last summer and it was fekin roasting! Was running KR108's. I was reading 19psi out the warmer (rear) and 27psi when I came in! Track temp was so high we were all skating about a bit :sun::sun::sun::sweat::sweat:

15. F*ck yeah!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. It was the Pirelli guy that does the BSB ...I’ve forwarded the combined opinions from here for his reference...

• Like Like x 1
  17. May be same guy who told me hot weather means hard front/Soft rear and cold weather soft front/hard rear.

18. A couple of my mates who run road tyres on track have stopped using warmers now but they were struggling with wear at Portimao last September.
    One of the other lads uses road tyres but runs them in warmers at 60 deg and gets really good wear but he's not the quickest.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I raced (yawn) on road tyres without warmers. Now, I use warmers on road tyres simply because it helps me to just go out first lap.

20. This is the page from Pirelli, https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/diablo-superbike. I have been advised that my riding style is very unlikely to suit the stiffer carcass of an SC2 on the front. Reading what people have already said and looking at the Pirelli compound chart, I have decided to go with an SC1 front/SC2 rear combination. If it works, great but if it doesn’t, I have liked the Pirelli Super Corse SCs and will happily go back to them. Thank you all for your contributions, as ever this forum continues to excel in its support for technical queries. @El Toro, for me, this post has served its purpose and can be closed at any time. Andy

#20 Android853sp, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information