1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Play In My Shocker Linkage Is Normal Apparently ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Steve71, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Adjusting my chain the other day noticed a small amount of movement in the swingarm ( up and down ) after looking into it it seems the top shocker mount has an amount of free play in it ? For me that's an mot fail but according to ducati it's ok ? Looked at a brand new bike there's a small amount a second hand bike with 4K on it and it's the same as mine ! Anyone else noticed this because I don't fancy a bill for a new rear shock when warrentys up and it's not time ..

2. http://www.motuk.com/bike/2-4.asp

Is the play "excessive" or clearly a consequence of wear or deterioration?

If you're worried then take it to your local VOSA and get their view, if they think it's unserviceable then get that in writing and discuss with your dealer.

3. Maybe 1/8 " up and down but past experience any play in suspension linkage has always failed an mot ? I'll see what mot guy thinks !

4. 1/8" sounds like a lot.

VOSA will be less subjective than local MOT person, as with the best will in the world MOT testing standards vary. VOSA are pretty exacting and if they say it's a fail then that's something that will carry significantly more weight with the dealer. OTOH if they say there's an acceptable level of play then that supports the dealer's view.

The other option is to ask what the tolerance is, either by the factory manual or by contacting another dealer. Franchised dealers should know / be working to factory approved tolerances.

1/8" still sounds like a lot of play on a suspension component. Is it banging and clattering?

5. Not a thing noise wise ? I have been a dado and collard every multi I've seen today and they've all had a degree of play .. going to chase it up with vosa though could be a lot of unhappy people come mot time .

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2015 DVT, 14k miles. No notice play up and down. The centerstand does flex a bit in it's mounting when checking for movement.

7. VOSA closed in April 2014. Sorry about that.

8. Why, did you close them?

9. It's DVSA now..

I nearly failed an R1 years ago (when they were old enough for first test) due to play in the rear linkages (which I thought was excessive at the time).

luckily we had a new one in the showroom so I tested that one and it was identical!.

Quite common on all makes now to have some play, probably due to them using needle roller bearings instead of the old bushing setups of old..

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. DVSA then, smartarse... :p

Click the link to find your local enforcement office...

11. If by okay it's lateral, aren't they all like that?

12. There is no bush at the top mount. It has a fork which is bolted directly to the frame with 2 plastic spacers.
    Last year I replaced the the bottom spherical bearing in the shock from my (now sold) 2010. The fitting is exactly the same and there was no play at the top mount. If there is play either the bolt isn't fully tightened or there is wear in the plastic spacers (7).
    Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 13.07.05.png

13. that's handy I might just strip it myself for my own piece of mind .. ducati did say there's nothing wrong and it seems some have play and some don't ? Thanks for the exploded view though !

14. I hope they have improved the attachment to the swinging arm on the DVT models, or at least greased the bolt. The lower bolt on mine was seized in and was a nightmare to remove.

15. Always wondered why they assemble them dry at the factory just for sake of grease etc..

16. Have you ever MOT'd a Norton Commando -------- :eek:

17. It wasn't the thread that was seized, it was the head of the bolt inside the recess on the opposite side of the shock bearing.

18. Of course there is a ball joint in the frame, look at nr 2 in the frame drawing
    http://shop.oemducati.com/en/products/multistrada/2012-1/multistrada-1200-s/frame-213

Do Not Sell My Personal Information