1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Please Help With A 1260 Mts Decision

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rizzo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Shit, soz mate, I'm so confused at the rules of when I can issue a "thats bollocks buddy" I just got carried away and threw one in... Ya know, just in case. :eek: I'll certainly be more careful next time. Thanks for realigning me. Appreciate it :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Etiquette mate, you'll get there :punch:

In fact screw that, feel free to let one off the chain whenever it suits :joy:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I’m shocked at the level of initial restraint shown in my direction haha not what I’d expect around these parts...

I think you’ve got the wrong idea though... never said the Scrambler was any faster. Of course it isn’t! It gets pasted by most things on any road where you can get over 50mph...

The Multistrada is easily the fastest thing I’ve ever ever ridden down a road. I can’t think of a bike that would get you from point A to B faster!
    You can ride it all day, down any road and it just eats it up...

Even fully laden with two people on it, a Multi is going to beat a Scrambler anyway. I’m not an idiot guys!

I was trying to talk about ‘fun.’ Sure, a Multi is fast as fuck but is it as fun to throw around a nice road as a Tuono...?

I just always find it odd that no one buys a Multistrada to go hit their favourite Sunday morning thrash, so why is that the bike you want to take to the Alpine playground? I just reckon fun factor should come first and then juuuuuust enough practicality, that you get there without a broken spine!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Just A query for the OP

Is it going the way you imagined??
    Are you clear on a strategy now you’ve soaked up the collective wisdom?
    :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. My Multi is now 5 years old and am thinking of a change..As soon as it gets a little warmer I will be trying the 1260s and the KTM 1290 Superduke GT..
    If neither of those float my boat I may just keep it and part ex my gixxer 750 for a Kawasaki Z900RS as I'm really liking the look of that..

Worse case is I change the Multi for one of the above and the gixxer for a Z900RS.........and the wife goes nuclear.....:joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Unwittingly you've just fed @Wayne58 the perfect line there.

Jesus H wept, we'll never hear the end of that now

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. As a little different perspective, I rode back from Italy in Sept 17 on a Monster 1200R with 2 Multi riders. 1 was a Skyhook and the other a DVT model. The rest were a mixture of BMW's mostly GS/A's variants. The 12R never missed a beat and on occasions riding some of the Mountain Passes, the Multi riders commented how easily the 12R coped in the tight twisties. Especially when they had both panniers and a top box onboard with them. Whilst the luggage space on the 12R was limited, in a way this helped as I could travel light probably similar to a Tuono setup. I had a 20Ltr tank bag and a 20Ltr Kriega tail pack. See pic below, taken on the Furkka Pass. I could have stretched the trip to 10/12 days instead of the initial 5 that we did and I feel I still could have left 1 or 2 things at home, as I felt had packed too much. I find the 12R much easier to ride and the reviews were understated, so why I choose 1 over the MTS but it took me 4 months to make my choice.

IMG_5209.JPG

Having had an MTS 12 model, which I sold about 4 years ago, it was a little too tall for me and always needs to check which foot to put down if the road was sloping away to 1 side. The MTS with the Ohlins (2010-12) were the better models in my opinion. However if I were to change the 12R to an MTS now, I would now consider either a white or dark grey 1260S model. you get the electronic suspension etc. If it's your only bike then I can understand why you'd choose a PP. Have looked at 1 and in someways the manual suspension setup had both + & -'s for both models. However I do like the look of a grey/ gold wheels setup. My old MTS was Black with Gold wheels, hence why I'd probably go this route and spend the extra on a full Term open system.

#27 samieb, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1

8. OK - I have both the Multi and the Scrambler and love them both.

The multi is faster more comfy and better handling than the scrambler and great fun... I did buy it for the Sunday morning hoon... not anything else..

The scrambler has a sorted suspension and also bought for hooning around.... you need to ride it harder and push it harder... and that's the fun.. riding it at the limits.. which honestly is not possible (at least for me) on the multi.

The scrambler is a 70 mile ride bike where as the multi 120 plus...

I take the multi out early mornings (early early no traffic..) and probably never put my feet down from the moment I leave my drive to getting back at the petrol station on way home.

The scrambler I use for same run - but shorter route and also in the day when there is traffic about and I need to stop and feel comfortable doing so with my 27" inside leg.... in traffic..

Can't comment on the Tuono... but would not be worried about Multi reliability if you are buying new with a warranty .. even out of warranty its things like all the electronic taht would have me concerned - but that's no different with ANY brand.

I would choose the S version over the PP... a stcicker kit and can are far cheaper that the PP xtra cost and you get in MHO a better suspension...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bwwaaahhhahahaha. Maybe we should ring Dovi and let him know. FFS lad....God bless ya... .. :D:p:upyeah:

#29 Wayne58, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Welcome on board Warwick :upyeah:

11. Remember that restrained thing we discussed? o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Don’t know how well Dovi’s GP18 would get on with a greasy A54 up to Buxton, at 5 degrees...
    Marquez did get his RCV up a ski slope though, so who knows! (Rate my chances on a snowmobile however...)

A-B thing is a cliche I know but surely the only arguement for a Multi? It’s built to get wherever you’re going as quickly as possible, be that 50 Miles to your chosen over priced coffee shop or 1000 miles to your favourite Dolomite?

It certainly wasn’t built for maximum fun... all motorbikes are fun, especially fast ones but I reckon the word ‘divertente’ was deffo not at the top of the design brief. Definitely below: ‘must have more toys than the BMW.’

The DVT was the least ‘Ducati’ Ducati I’ve ever ridden. Soft, fluffy throttle (even in sportiest setting) and no punch at all until over 7k. I did ride an early one though, supposedly an improved map later on improved things.
    The twin spark Multi was better but still kind of unengaging. It just made going fast, not that exciting BUT you could ride to Scotland in a day and get off without a sore bum! Which I did once.

OP asked for opinions on swapping a Tuono for a Multi for doing Euro Road trips. I reckon he’ll have less fun on a Multi, compared to a Tuono. Bit surprised how controversial that is but that’s the danger of an opinion poll!

13. Mate, I have read and written a whole load of crap on here, mainly written I might add, but you are taking my biscuit at writing and plagiarizing utter bollox. I mean this in a nice way but stop please, my ribs can't take much more.... ;)

14. Oh shit, soz mate. Forgot again. Doh..... :rolleyes:

15. Plagiarising??? Why, who else doesn’t like the Multi? I though everyone loves em...?

So far you’ve misunderstood and assumed I said a Scrambler is faster and think it’s better. It isn’t and I don’t. I wrote a fairly lengthy post of my experience riding Multistradas expecting to stir some debate, as I know the Multi is a popular bike and I thought it would be interesting to see a counter arguement. ‘That’s bollox’ is to the point but I don’t feel like I’ve learnt much.

How about my best attempt at a Wayne friendly forum response then:

“Mate, don’t bother changing, I reckon the Multi is bollox”

I come here to chat shit about bikes man, that’s the point right? If I mention ‘throttle response’ in normal company, people leave the room.
    The multi isn’t my idea of fun but I am happy to be told why it’s the best bike evarrrrrr...

16. Oh dear

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeah I’m out. Bin needs a wash...

• Like Like x 1
  18. I suppose it depends where you’ve come from, figuratively speaking, my 899 frightened the life outa me, it was my 2nd bike and so probably peaked too soon, however, I’ve taken the multi on track and did fairly well in the novice group, kept up with the sports bikes and passed some of em, I love it it’s durable and multi purpose, I suppose a jack of all trades. I’m in for a 1260 which arrives in March (its left the factory) and I’ve not even test rode one. I get more out of the multi than I ever could out of my Pani, given my skill level, so for an everyday put a big smile on me face and keep the missus in comfort for lengthy jaunts there is no better bike, in my opinion. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. The boy just don't get it eh Damo :rolleyes:

20. Well done, job done :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information