1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Please Help With A 1260 Mts Decision

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rizzo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. I was waiting for the next onslaught :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Firstly and this is only personal, I would go for the "S" as the adjust-ability on the fly kinda suits the whole touring thing for me. When covering large distances, I like to be able to switch depending on the mood I'm in. Secondly, spend some time setting the "S" up, out of the box, the suspension does not suit everyone and Skyhook is not the magic solution that Ducati claim, it is a great system, but still needs setting up, and set it up in each mode (It's mostly done in the dash and is relatively simple). I have found a set up in sport that can make the bike tremendous fun through a mountain pass, but then put back in touring mode once relaxing, can then feel like a much softer completely different bike.

I am on my third Multi and have had no major issues thus far, having covered some quite large European tours. Over 3 bikes, have had the heated grips fail (early bike), fuel sender(early bike) gear position sensor (2014 bike), keyless ignition screwed up(2014 bike, was no code on bike system, easy fix) chain snap (2014 bike and isolated incident) and on my 2016 bike, nothing has failed.

So, in summary, as a do everything, reliable bike, that does have good range, luggage etc etc, I would have no hesitations in recommending a Multi "S" (Although, TBF, Dovi & Lorenzo may look elsewhere ?? :upyeah:)

#42 Wayne58, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. I've owned two Tuono's in the past (albeit older twins), lovely bikes, rode to the alps, germany several times. Had a Ventura rack and bag, plus a tank bag an it worked well. Apart from the fact that it was agony on your neck and arse on the motorway getting to the interesting stuff.

When I had my first Multi test ride I found the bike too soft after the Tuono, less direct throttle response and softer brakes, so I would agree with some extent with Jooooosh's comments. Once I rode a bike that had the suspension sorted the difference was enormous, although still a bit like driving a massive powerboat.

I've now owned 2 Multistradas, early 1200S and a DVT. Hands down I think they are brilliant, the get you to where you want to go with minimum fuss and effort and are a breeze to ride up mountain roads. The Tuono might have been a tiny bit quicker on tight twisty roads (as might be a scrambler), but I've found sitting upright and powering along on huge waves of torque is a damn site faster for me in the long run (it's also a damn site more comfortable).

I had a bunch of issue with the Aprilia's and some with the first multi, but the newer models are well sorted now.
    Haven't ridden the 1260 yet and may change at some point but realistically I think the DVT is almost as good for me at the moment.

4. I was ready to give up following this thread but I am glad is back on track now - I am looking at the 1260 as well and any bit of info is useful (shame that the little "glove" box has gone - found the one my 1200s 2013 very useful... I wondered how much they saved :thinkingface: ).

5. You've not ridden many bikes at all, have you?

... and that's the reason people tour on a MTS and not a scrambler, so whats your point?

You're missing the point completely. You HAVE to get their first and it's pointless it being "fun" if you're shattered when you get there after trying to keep up with your mates while they're having-it down a German autobahn.

That is complete and utter rubbish. Go troll the scrambler forum and tell them they need multistrada's.

I tried touring the alps on an R1 because I thought it would be more fun once I got there ... without my broken spine (barely) - it was the week from hell and on reflection it was a fucking stupid thing to do. I tried to get my mates engaged in a "yeah, lets swap bikes for a few miles, it'll be fun and interesting" type of thing, and NONE of them wanted to go near it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Not sure what you've read? My 1200 DVT was completely reliable, it never let me down in almost 17,000 miles over 2 years. I had an exhaust valve issue, but that's not really a reliability issue as it doesn't stop you riding it and if it transpires while you're away you can fix it easily. It's just a mild irritation. I'm not aware of many people experiencing a problem to the point that the bike has physically broken down.

7. You've more patience than me, I lost interest and couldn't be bothered to argue. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information